Buttercream Keeps Cracking-Help!

Decorating By sudie1 Updated 15 Mar 2010 , 9:05pm by LeckieAnne

sudie1 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 4

I use 1/2 butter and 1/2 butter flavored crisco in my buttercream recipe and everyone loves the taste. My problem is that once I get the icing very smooth (using viva papertowel method), then the icing will inevitably crack somewhere on the cake after I decorate and move it. Is this due to not using high ratio shortening and using the transfat Crisco? How can I correct this problem and still get a great tasting buttercream icing? Thanks for your advice.

3 replies
ebredhawk Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 4

most of the time when i have cracking it's because the cake is "bending" at some point during the transportation process. usually because the board or support under the bottom of the cake doesn't stay flat and flexes when you move it (why i always move bigger cakes on a piece of wood under the box or board). i've found the easiest way to fix this is heating up a small spatula with hot water, wiping it dry and going over the cracks very lightly. it should smooth them out very nicely and any tiny lines left from this that you don't like can be smoothed with a Viva!

Mug-a-Bug Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 9:02pm
post #3 of 4

Yes, it could be the type of crisco you're using. I used to get a lot of cracks when I wasn't whipping my icing long enough. Also, the board bending can cause cracks. High ratio shortening is more elastic and I never get cracks when I use it. HTH thumbs_up.gif

LeckieAnne Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 4

We just talked about this - read this post:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6747073-.html#6747073

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%