Fondant Questions

Decorating By SugarSugarDesserts Updated 15 Mar 2010 , 11:51pm by FullHouse

SugarSugarDesserts Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 3:34pm
post #1 of 5

Lots of fondant questions....

1. Is there any way to fix a wrinkle or crease in fondant?

2 . How about a seam?

3. How about a tear?

4. I recently covered a rice cereal treat in fondant and it was a little bumpy in spots. Should I have made the crumb coat on the treat a little thicker to keep it from being bumpy?

5. I have heard of people using modeling chocolate to model or cover 3d figures. Is there a reason it would work better than fondant?

I would greatly appreciate any help anyone could give. I can cover a cake in fondant but I am having problems with figures and such. Any hot to videos would also be greatly appreciated!!

4 replies
impala Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 3:48pm
post #2 of 5

Hi I can help you with question 3 and 4. I have covered RKT with fondant and have found that if i crush the rice krispies first the character is smoother and i also make sure to smooth the buttercream as much as possible. For the modeling chocolate you can smooth it out much easier than fondant as smooth and leaving no seams so that is why people use modeling chocolate at times.

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 5

1. If you work fast (and if your fondant isn't too dry), you should be able to smooth out any wrinkles or creases. You can also take a ball of extra fondant, roll it in cornstarch, and rub it against the covered cake to smooth it out. Another option is using a fondant smoother tool.

2. Same as above.

3. Try to join the torn pieces back together and smooth them out as much as possible.

4. A fondant covered cake will only be smooth if the layer underneath is smooth. Just make sure to ice the RCT so that it's as smooth as possible. If there's any bumps showing, use more icing.

5. Modeling chocolate can be worked and molded more than fondant, and gives you time to really sculpt and move it without it tearing or drying out (you can also smooth out seams easier with modeling chocolate).

Here's some links on CC to MANY helpful tutorials on figures and other things:

I hope this helps!

metria Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 11:39pm
post #4 of 5

if you have a tear, and it's the bottom of the ninth, no time to try re-covering the cake ... you can try an emergency patch. melt some of your fondant scraps in the microwave along with some drops of water. You're looking for glue consistency. Dab some of that in the seams with a paintbrush. It's not perfect, but it does help fill in some gaps and might make it less noticeable.

FullHouse Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 5

Another fix for small tears is to spackle with RI or BC in the same color as the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%