Fondant Falling Apart!!!

Baking By rissadragons Updated 16 Mar 2010 , 10:49am by rissadragons

rissadragons Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 12:19pm
post #1 of 7

I have made fondant twice now and both times I have been unable to use it. I got the recipe on here and it was rated pretty well. It just keeps crumbling. If I just roll it out it looks okay but as soon as I try to knead it, work with it or move it as I would to put it on a cake it just crumbles....what am I doing wrong?

6 replies
Amberly10 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 12:54pm
post #2 of 7

Are you using MMF? I have only ever made it once ( I am new to all of this ) and followed the directions exactly. It would tear very easily so I just kept kneading in water one tablespoon at a time. It took atleast 4-5 tablespoons of water before I got it to be pliable without tearing. So my suggestion would to be add some water a little at a time until you get it how you want it. Good luckicon_smile.gif

rissadragons Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 5:25pm
post #3 of 7

No it is just rolling fondant not MMF.

Ayanami Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 7

I use (& love!) MMF. I got my recipe from a lady on the Wilton website a loooong time ago & have never used anything else since. If made right it will have the same feeling & workability as store bought fondant but with the taste & flavor of marshmallows/powder sugar.

I have found the secret to fabulous MMF is to buy fresh marshmallows every time. And I ALWAYS sift my PS to eliminate any "rocks" in the finished product.

If my attachment doesn't work for the recipe, just go to the Wilton website & do a search for "bunnywoman" & you'll find her MMF recipe.

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 10:58pm
post #5 of 7

May I ask, what's in the recipe you're using? It sounds like your fondant isn't very elastic. Try adding a bit of water and vegetable shortening, if that still doesn't help, then add glucose:

Powder sugar

Step 1
Wash and sanitize your hands and table top. There is some people that suggest using elastic gloves.
Step 2
Sprinkle plenty of sieved powdered sugar on the area where you are going to work.
Step 3
Take the piece of fondant you'll work with and knead it slightly just to make it pliable.
Step 4
Press the piece of fondant in the center and drop a bit of glucose.
Step 5
Close the fondant as if you were making a turnover to avoid the glucose from spilling.
Step 6
I prefer working the fondant into a rope to avoid getting my hands sticky. Add powdered sugar to the table top as needed.

Hope that helps!

ninatat Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:37am
post #6 of 7

i make mm fondant and have never has a problem with it. sounds like you're not using enough crisco when mixing and working with it, you can add a touch of water, but just a touch, i would go with the crisco, 1 reg bag mm's 1 bag con sugar and 2 teaspoons water, be sure and grease up your hands, and add crisco while mixing i twist, pull, ect. , i alway's have it handy when i take it out when using it again, because of my back i put a clean blanket on the floor and mix in large plastic, bowl

rissadragons Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 10:49am
post #7 of 7

I took everyone's advice and made MMF for the first time. Works beautifully! This will be my choice from now on!!! Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%