Shiny Look On Fondant

Decorating By shannycakers Updated 17 Mar 2010 , 4:06pm by tonedna

shannycakers Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 12:17pm
post #1 of 12

Hello CC gang!

I need some help, I cant figure out how some people get the really glossy look on their fondant, i have tried steaming my cake but it didnt really look as good as it should have. is there a trick to get it glossy or shiny? What do you all do once the cake is done?

I am also wondering how people get their seams together on the fondant not to show, such as when you put two pieces of fondant together for a decorations or bottom rope, how do you melt it or cover it.. cake boss puts all their fondant on in pieces and it doesnt show the lines, but mine does. Please help!

THANKS!!

11 replies
Cake-makerz Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 12

I give it a shiny look with dust

HTH
LL

sharlanet Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:26pm
post #3 of 12

I used a mixture of 1/2 vodka & 1/2 corn syrup and brushed it on my cake. It dries to the touch and stays shiny. I haven't tried it but I've read that shortening or oil will also make it shiny.

sharlanet Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:26pm
post #4 of 12

I used a mixture of 1/2 vodka & 1/2 corn syrup and brushed it on my cake. It dries to the touch and stays shiny. I haven't tried it but I've read that shortening or oil will also make it shiny.

dguerrant Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 4:21am
post #5 of 12

I SPRAY MINE WITH A VEGETABLE OIL SPRAY (THE SAMS CHOICE AT WAL-MART). YOU MUST READ THE INGREDIENTS LIST TO MAKE SURE THAT IT DOES NOT CONTAIN WATER, THIS WILL MAKE THE FONDANT STICKY. I LIGHTLY SPRAY ON THE FONDANY THE BRUSH WITH A LARGE SOFT PAINTBRUSH DEDICATED TO MY CAKES, YOU CAN ALSO USE A PAER TOWEL, BUT I PREFER THE BRUSH. GOOD LUCK

monet1895 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 4:48am
post #6 of 12

You can rub it with Crisco.

Cake-makerz Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 2:56pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by monet1895

You can rub it with Crisco.

I use Crisco to knead the fondant icon_wink.gif

metria Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:14pm
post #8 of 12

for me, i found that steaming, rubbing crisco, or brushing on canola oil gives it a good shine, but fades over time.

i like the 50/50 liquor/corn syrup solution or using confectioner's glaze.

kickasscakes Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 10:25pm
post #9 of 12

what does the confectioners glaze taste like? Is it ok to cover a cake with it? Does it change the texture or the color of the fondant?

metria Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 10:36pm
post #10 of 12

now that i think about it, if it's for an entire cake, i'd go with the canola oil method (e.g. spray PAM). i think the confectioner's glaze and 50/50 liquor/corn syrup leaves it a little hard. correct me if you disagree folks!

tame Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 3:58pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks

tonedna Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 4:06pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

now that i think about it, if it's for an entire cake, i'd go with the canola oil method (e.g. spray PAM). i think the confectioner's glaze and 50/50 liquor/corn syrup leaves it a little hard. correct me if you disagree folks!

Yesthe confectioners glaze is something I really dont like using as a cake covering. I prefer to use it in details that I dont have to eat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%