How Much Business Are You Home Bakers Getting?

Business By cakiemommie Updated 18 Mar 2010 , 5:40pm by Kiddiekakes

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 4:46pm
post #31 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullHouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

Small correction, while minor updates are free, major upgrades such as the recent 2010 may be made available for a fee. There is no service plan or annual fees, though, and updates are not mandatory. There will never be anything more that you are required to purchase. thumbs_up.gif

CakeCentral members receive 10% off, so the price for members is just $134.10.

birthday.gif

Kelley, I love too. I haven't upgraded yet. Is the 10% discount applicable to the upgrade for the 2010 version? Thanks.

The 10% discount applies only to the initial purchase. Current users can upgrade for $50 by going here: https://www.cakeboss.com/upgrade2010.aspx (copy and paste this entire link into your browser). You must use the same email address that you used with your initial purchase to be eligible for the upgrade. Those who have had an email change since their initial purchase can email me so I can change it in our system. ?Coupon=CC2015"icon_smile.gif"

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 4:48pm
post #32 of 58

Wow some of you home bakers are really busy!

I'm not as busy as I'd like to be. Some weekends I may have 4-5 orders but some weekends only one or two. And many of them are party cakes.

My goal is to have 3-4 weddings a month at least along with all the party cakes but that is a LONGGGG ways off.

I've been decorating for about 10 years but only licensed here for about a year and a half now. My website has been online for around 5 years. Its been incredibly slow (but steady I guess) growth.

I have four boys though so there's probably many more things as far as networking and self promotion that I could be doing and just am not able to do. I'm okay with slow growth for now but once all my boys are in school I'm hoping my business really explodes!

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 4:50pm
post #33 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakiemommie

jentreu see, that's what I'm wondering. How can I get 5 cake orders in one week? am i not advertising right? My biggest problem i think is finding people who can afford cakes..

I have a pretty unique situation- my husband works at a hospital and is able to deliver all orders to my customers who work there. So, I never advertised, I just sent a few cakes in for a "sampling event" at several departments, and that was it.
Then, those people knew people who knew people.... you get the drift. Put a bunch of people with good jobs, then make the majority of them women, and you've got a gold mine.
I also got in with a couple of companies in the area through the hospital, and I work my way through them too- they all talk and I end up doing all the weddings, showers, 1st bday cakes, etc.

I have a good friend who has the similar access- the local power company. Her hubby works there and one cake... that's all it took.

I don't advertise very much- I maintain a pretty good website, do a few wedding shows, and that's about it.
I'm pretty blessed I guess.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 5:14pm
post #34 of 58

Wow! Thanks for all the info, I definitely am going to purchase that, my business just keeps growing and I am starting to feel, "helter skelter" about things. I have this fear of forgetting something and not being ready for an order, and losing track of money etc. Thanks again!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 6:19pm
post #35 of 58

I'm in cahoots with my local party store too which results in a lot more orders than I'd probably get on my own too!

They don't have the means to make/decorate cakes on site, but they like to offer them because it gets people in the door and then they buy their party supplies, balloons, etc. from them!

They quote the people exactly what I charge and I drop off the cakes in the a.m. and then people come at different times throughout the day and pick up their respective cakes and then the next time I am in the party supply store, the owners give me the money made from the cakes. They don't take a cut of the cake money, I told them they could upsell the cakes (charge more) and keep the difference but they decided not to.

I love that I can have 4 or 5 cakes due the same day and don't have to arrange delivery or anything like that, I drop them all off at the same time and then they handle the rest. They frequently give out my bus. cards too to people wanting wedding cakes, etc.

I offer cake decorating classes and donate my time and efforts and allow the party store to reap the benefit of the per person cost of the class. They also allow my brides to make payments there (they have a cc machine too) and drop off contracts as well as allowing brides to pick up samples and I conduct my tastings/consultations in their store front as well.
They have been such a blessing to me, and they feel that I have been to them as well.

I urge all of you to make friends with someone locally that may do the same for you!! Its been a wonderful boost of my business!

herdream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
herdream Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 6:37pm
post #36 of 58

Wow KHalstead icon_eek.gif They are truly a blessing. That is an awesome arrangement you have.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 6:42pm
post #37 of 58
Quote:
Quote:

I'm in cahoots with my local party store too which results in a lot more orders than I'd probably get on my own too!

They don't have the means to make/decorate cakes on site, but they like to offer them because it gets people in the door and then they buy their party supplies, balloons, etc. from them!

They quote the people exactly what I charge and I drop off the cakes in the a.m. and then people come at different times throughout the day and pick up their respective cakes and then the next time I am in the party supply store, the owners give me the money made from the cakes. They don't take a cut of the cake money, I told them they could upsell the cakes (charge more) and keep the difference but they decided not to.

That's so awesome this works out well! I will actually be doing the same here soon!

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 6:50pm
post #38 of 58

Like KHal....I have an arrangment with a local party place that orders all their cakes from me. I used to offer them a discount, but now I do not. I deliver the cakes there on Saturday morning, and they pay me once per month. Some weekends I have 1-2 cakes for them, other weekends, I have 5-6. It all depends. Ihave gotten MANY customers from this arrangement and word of mouth, But I will tell you, a nice website is a MUST!

Another thing, you have to offer what your area wants. I would love to do large elaborate fondant cakes, but the people in my area don't really want that. Some do, and I will provide, but for the most part, they want simple buttercream. So I offer what is wanted. It would be like opening a large organic grocery store here - it would offer great things, but people in the area in which I live don't care anything about organic food.

I looked at your pictures and your cakes are beautiful. Is fondant the predominant covering in your area? If it isn't, and that is all you offer, then I can see why you don't get business. If people don't want fondant or a particulr thing, they will go to find what they DO want.

I hope that makes sense and doesn't seem ugly. I love sinple, elegant, fondant cakes and I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to do them, but buttercream is what people want here, and buttercream is what they get icon_smile.gif

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 8:47pm
post #39 of 58

KHalstead, thanks for the description of the upgrade. Something to save my pennies for icon_smile.gif.

Kitagirl: I have 4 boys as well, 2 aren't in school yet, there is NO way I could make as many cakes as you do in a week. I don't know how you do it. Right now, while my youngest is still up for nighttime feedings, I have a hard time with even 1 or 2 cakes in a week. Hats off to you.

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 10:16pm
post #40 of 58

I am SO gonna get Cake Boss!!!! I have wondered about exactly what it has to offer and this thread has answered questions I didn't even know I had! Yay! I'm so excited icon_smile.gif

prbakingmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prbakingmama Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:00am
post #41 of 58

Hello everyone! I'm a newbie here and am also in the process of getting a home based business going. This thread is great! So many ideas that I didn't even think of. Thank you to all of you for your suggestions and ideas. Now I have some ideas that I can use to get some business. I just love this site! Good luck to everyone that is in the same boat.

Kitagrl Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:13am
post #42 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullHouse

KHalstead, thanks for the description of the upgrade. Something to save my pennies for icon_smile.gif.

Kitagirl: I have 4 boys as well, 2 aren't in school yet, there is NO way I could make as many cakes as you do in a week. I don't know how you do it. Right now, while my youngest is still up for nighttime feedings, I have a hard time with even 1 or 2 cakes in a week. Hats off to you.

How old are your boys? Mine are 9, 7, almost 5, and 2 1/2. The almost 5 yr old will start half day kindergarten this coming fall.

Oh it was sooo hard when the youngest was still a baby! I thought I would go crazy!!! I didn't have quite as many orders at that time though. icon_smile.gif

Unfortunately the tv does a bit too much babysitting, and some of the housework gets pushed aside while the caking is heavy!

pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:51am
post #43 of 58

Wow.. such useful info in this post! I wish I could get a home business going but I am confused and don't know where to start and how to begin icon_sad.gif I am in a totally new place since we moved 3 weeks ago and I don't know how to build contacts and advertise icon_sad.gif

cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 2:20am
post #44 of 58

Each move I always start with my county & city zoning & business licensing depts, (& homeowner associations too). Checking each to make sure I can have a business. Then I go to the state level, the SCC & Dept of Agriculture. Finally I go to the state tax dept.. :0) To build contacts I give samples to churches & halls such as Moose/VFW/American Legion... Being military I doante to their functions, churches on post & MWR, soliders functions (BOSS).
In addition I give samples to wedding planners, bridal shops, & florist in my area (party supply shops too). As a Pastry Chef I also look to the local Chefs at little resturants that might be looking for someone to recommend to their customers.. as well as I always have samples for the Fire & Police Depts. Also don't forget to do bridal shows and to have open houses in your place of baking a couple times of year...
Most IMPORTANTLY donate to your local schools.... these are great places to get the word out that you are in business and do a great job.
I have moved my business 3 times (those Army PCS's) and these work each time! :0)

cakiemommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakiemommie Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 6:58am
post #45 of 58

wow cakemom! those are GREAT ideas.. and it's impressive that you seem so resilient.. you basically have to start new with your business every time you move! so i think you could be of great help to me! maybe you could tell me more about donating to places like police and schools... how would i go about that exactly? Thanks so much!

cakemom42 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 10:06am
post #46 of 58

You do what you gotta do... & while my business takes huge hits each time
it's a small price for love :0) Thanks for the kudos!!

The school admin office can help you, if you don't have kids in the system it might be harder.... & some schools in some states won't allow "home baked" goods for various reasons (mostly peanut/gluten allergies)...
but if you are licensed in the state & registered with the SCC it should be ok. The PTA always has events for the staff and look to the community for donations (especially in these times of budget cuts)...High schools always have events for teens at prom so that they are not out partying & driving... all schools have PTA Teacher Appreciation days.. do your best job and you'll get tons of business.

On the police side you have to be cautious since 9/11 but again they have fundraisers & look to the community for help (especially in this economy)..
Some have golf tournaments, auctions, & every Aug in each neighborhood across the USA they have a "National Night Out" ... These are great places to donate and get word of mouth going.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 2:00pm
post #47 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

How old are your boys? Mine are 9, 7, almost 5, and 2 1/2. The almost 5 yr old will start half day kindergarten this coming fall.

Oh it was sooo hard when the youngest was still a baby! I thought I would go crazy!!! I didn't have quite as many orders at that time though. icon_smile.gif

Unfortunately the tv does a bit too much babysitting, and some of the housework gets pushed aside while the caking is heavy!

TV is a great babysitter sometimes. My boys are 10, 7, 2 1/2 & 6 months. My 2 1/2 yo won't nap anymore but is a monster by mid afternoon b/c he's so tired. My baby likes cat naps. My mom will come by and help with the kids if I'm in a bind though. I've tried doing cakes once DH gets home, but with dinner, bathtime and frequent nursing I can't start until 10pm and then by the time I finish the baby needs to eat again so I wind up with only about 2 hrs sleep. I just can't function like that. Right now I have no desire to be busy w/cakes - good thing I'm not. My 4th is my last, and they grow way too quickly so I want to enjoy them while they are home.

Kitagrl Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 2:08pm
post #48 of 58

Sometimes I feel like a break would be good...on the other hand, with my licensing and insurance and all that, I have gotten "too deep" and I need the money anyway! So I do keep hoping for more orders to keep the finances going. We really need to pay off some old bills so are hoping to do that this year and next year with "cake money" if possible.

surgery2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surgery2 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 6:45pm
post #49 of 58

I am averaging now $900-$1100 a week.

Kitagrl Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 6:57pm
post #50 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by surgery2

I am averaging now $900-$1100 a week.

Is that net or gross?

pj22 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 8:17pm
post #51 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemom42

Each move I always start with my county & city zoning & business licensing depts, (& homeowner associations too). Checking each to make sure I can have a business. Then I go to the state level, the SCC & Dept of Agriculture. Finally I go to the state tax dept.. :0) To build contacts I give samples to churches & halls such as Moose/VFW/American Legion... Being military I doante to their functions, churches on post & MWR, soliders functions (BOSS).
In addition I give samples to wedding planners, bridal shops, & florist in my area (party supply shops too). As a Pastry Chef I also look to the local Chefs at little resturants that might be looking for someone to recommend to their customers.. as well as I always have samples for the Fire & Police Depts. Also don't forget to do bridal shows and to have open houses in your place of baking a couple times of year...
Most IMPORTANTLY donate to your local schools.... these are great places to get the word out that you are in business and do a great job.
I have moved my business 3 times (those Army PCS's) and these work each time! :0)

Thank you so very much! You have given me some direction... I'll contact the said departments ASAP. I hope I can set something up soon icon_smile.gif Really appreciate your advice icon_biggrin.gif

pj22 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 8:21pm
post #52 of 58

Oh.. and btw, what kind of samples do you give out? Like 8 inch cakes or cookies etc?

cakemom42 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 11:07pm
post #53 of 58

Samples depends on what I feel like making.. sometimes cupcakes, sometimes an 8" round, sometimes a sheet cake.... For donations I always try to tease & give a hint of what I can do.. keeping it simple at the same time... A cupcake cake with a cute buttercream design intrigues the elementary schools as it is little mess & no fuss in the class rooms.... :0)

You are most welcome & best of luck!

pj22 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 11:30pm
post #54 of 58

Thanks for the ideas!

cakiemommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakiemommie Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:42am
post #55 of 58

cakemom... again, great ideas! but isn't that ackward? do you just walk in to their business with a cake? what if they're like... "do we know you?" I think this is a great idea, but I'd want to be savvy about it!

cakemom42 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 9:51am
post #56 of 58

Not really... in most cases you make an initial contact by introducing yourself... once you state what you do everyone is interested in "tasting" or "sampling" your product. & in the case of fundraising oragnizations are in need of community support and love the oportunity to show case a nice cake. Some locations you do have to be cautious in your approach due to the nature of their business such as Home Land Security professions but once you open the door it's a cake walk :0)

surgery2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surgery2 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 5:39pm
post #57 of 58

net...............after costs/expenses are pulled.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 5:40pm
post #58 of 58

I average about 5 a weekend...sometimes more sometimes less but I am booked every weekend.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%