Isomalt Gems - How To Fill Mold Safely?

Sugar Work By judyz Updated 19 Jan 2011 , 2:54pm by dchockeyguy

judyz Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 6:52am
post #1 of 9

Good morning!

I have a question and I hope you don't laugh me out of the forum. I'm typing this with bandaids all over one finger. I attempted my first Isomalt gems and burned my finger badly. I have the First Impressions silicone mold with the 1/2" gems. What can I use to fill the mold with the tiny amount of isomalt required safely?

Thank you in advance!

8 replies
tinygoose Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 7:52am
post #2 of 9

I just did a jewel cake and I ran into the same problem. I didn't want to spend $$$ on a professional candy funnel, but needed at least some precision poring the hot isomalt.

I found this:

While it's not perfect, it worked pretty well. Popped it into the microwave for a few seconds when the sugar thickened too much, and was able to handle it w/o gloves. I was able to pour even tiny jewels, like the little ones on the crown. I did them first when the sugar was very liquidy.

Here's the cake.

hope this helps.

ibmoser Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 9

You can also try a silicone individual muffin (or cupcake) liner

The isomalt can be reheated in the liner, and you can squeeze the liner to make a little pour spout. I found the liners in a local outlet mall.

cake-angel Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 10:35pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you for the great ideas. I have been wondering the same thing.

Lorena1964 Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 9

Going to try the silicone cup cake liner today! Oh, I hope it works. Thought I would post before I burn my fingers off! :0 Thanks for the great posts.

dchockeyguy Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 9

I use the silicon muffin cups as well. You should still wear some gloves while doing this to protect your fingers in case you spill.

Lorena1964 Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 1:18am
post #7 of 9

It worked great!! Now if I could just say the same for the 10 pieces of my RI Tiara that broke apart coming off the waxd paper!

gscout73 Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 2:26am
post #8 of 9

I just got into making my own gems and realized the same difficulty. Melting the isomoalt, then getting it poured then re-melting, pouring, on and on... I knew there had to be a better way. I turned to my metal measuring spoons, right over a candle. AWESOME and ingenious. I can melt small amounts at a time and pour into the molds perfectly. No muss, no fuss and clear.

My only challenge right now is the humidity. I thought I could make them ahead of time and store. But I was wrong. First they got sticky, then they they went from cloudy to white. even the blue are aweful. They're all ruined.


dchockeyguy Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 2:54pm
post #9 of 9


If you get some food grade silicate (available from Make your own Molds) and put them in an airtight container with it, you won't have that problem with your gems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%