Fondant Help!

Decorating By JCope79 Updated 26 Mar 2010 , 3:58pm by pinkchef1217

JCope79 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 6:30am
post #1 of 11

I need to know how you all make stuff with fondant...and, get it to look neat? Everytime I use fondant it looks messy and stretched out. Any good tutorials out there? Advice you can give me? I'm making my son's first b-day party cake and I want it to look awesome! I'm needing some pointers! Thank you!

10 replies
Rylan Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 6:51am
post #2 of 11

Hi JCope79, what exactly are you looking for. Figure making? Accents? or covering the cake in fondant?

Here are some tutorials that might help you:

BASIC TUTORIALS: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-654103.html

FIGURE MAKING TUTORIALS: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-672099.html

JCope79 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 7:30am
post #3 of 11

a little bit of everything actually. I'm new to fondant. Thank you for the links!

JCope79 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 7:41am
post #4 of 11

and, wood. I need to know how to make fondant look like wood planks. This is for my son's 1st birthday party. icon_smile.gif Thank you!

jayne1873 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 8:21am
post #5 of 11

Mix some brown colour with vodka and paint strokes onto the fondant in the same direction, will look like wood icon_smile.gif

pinkchef1217 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 3:57am
post #6 of 11

Hi im new to fondant too and I have a cake that is just Buttercream iced with some black accents. its a small stacked tier cake (2tiers) if I ice them do you think I could apple the small amount of fondant accents and place it in the fridge over night?
The reason I ask is because I love to put them in the fridge to make the cake more solid and less likely to get messed up when the customer has to transport the cake from my location to theirs.

thanks =]

ladyonzlake Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 4:18am
post #7 of 11

I use a little bit of Tylose powder in my fondant to help it firm up when it's dry. This is especially good to use when making flowers and figures.
It's also helpful to have your fondant not so sticky so when I make accents I let them dry a bit and then place on the cake, this way they don't stretch out.
I refrigerate my fondant cakes with fondant accents but you have to be careful as it depends how much moisture your refrigerator has. Mine at home is dry but when I use the walk in frig. at my commerical kitchen it has too much moisture and my flowers ect. wilt so I have to add those just before I deliver the cake.
For fondant boards I take 2-3 shades of brown and marble it together in one direction. Then roll it out in one direction and you'll get a wonderful grain. I then dilute some brown food gel in Vodka and paint over my boards when they are dry.
I don't update my pictures on here but I have several on my website where I have made wooden boards. One is a trifold flag in a wooden case.

pinkchef1217 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 2:38am
post #8 of 11

ok so you think if i ice my cakes in buttercream and then put the small flat fondant accents then into the fridge over night it would be fine. How do i tell if my refrigerator is dry?/

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 4:58am
post #9 of 11

Sometimes the stretching happens when you try to pick up the figure you just cut out.... I've found that using a cutting board helps with that.

ladyonzlake Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 5:38am
post #10 of 11

You'll be fine if your peices are flat. I'd be more concerned with drapes, flowers and figures.

pinkchef1217 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 3:58pm
post #11 of 11

thanks guy =]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%