I Was Enraged By A Cake Decorator!

Decorating By MandaBrizown Updated 21 Mar 2010 , 6:12pm by cownsj

MandaBrizown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandaBrizown Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 6:09am
post #1 of 169

Ok time to vent.

As cake decorators, we take pride in our work. I know that I always am welcoming to beginners and usually won't mention my level of decorating. I don't want to make them feel bad. However, I was ready to scream at this cake decorator on Sat.

Here is a little back story. My mother and myself manage an event center. We rent the facility for weddings, parties, etc. We had a wedding for this past Sat. The family had came in and set up the reception and worked very hard to make sure everything was in its place. I was supposed to let the cake decorator know where to set the cake up. The reception was scheduled to begin at 3 pm.

The cake decorator shows up at 2 and I greet her. I show her where the cake is supposed to go and I offered to help get the tiers out of her car. She agreed. I should have been tipped off when I saw the first tier. Anyway she comes in and starts setting the cake up. I didn't want to hover or bother her so I stay far back and pretended to be doing something else. I seen that she had all the tiers on cardboard circles. Ok.

However it seems like she is using a tier set to set the cake up. First I think she cant put pillars with plain cake boards. There is no stability. Anyway I leave her and tell my mom to go and pry to see how much she charged for the cake. After she leaves my mother says "you will never believe how much she charged that lady for that cake." After a few seconds of guessing she says, "85 dollars per tier."

This is the point, when my jaw is on the floor. I go look at the cake and was immediatley engulfed in anger!

Let me explain what this cake looked like. She had made single layer tiers. Then did not level the cakes. She took them straight out of the pan and set them right side up with baking "humps" still in tact. She then procceded to ice them and leave tons of spatula marks all over them. The icing didnt even go all the way to the bottom of the cake. Lets see then when it came to the assembly it was even worse. I dont know if she was trying to stack the cakes or tier them. I am assuming that she was attempting to stack them.

The bottom tier had a Wilton scalloped edge board. The other tiers had plain cardboard circles that hadn't been trimmed. She used 10 in cake circles for 8 and 6 inch cakes. Then there was a 1 inch gap between the tiers. Why, because she didn't make the straws flush with the cakes. She had cut the straws uneven and with points. Some parts of the tiers were being held by a POINT! Then she placed black and deep red plastic roses all over the cake!

I was livid when I found out she got paid 255.00 for this! I told my mother I have got to fix this cake before the bride gets here. She will be crushed if she sees this cake. I was so mad to think that this woman thought that this cake was up to par.

So i waited for some of the family members to arrive and told them that I could fix it. I had some icing with me and some of my tools and that I could try and make it better. The minute the mother of bride arrived she was very unhappy. She said please fix this cake for my daughter. So I took it and did the best I could with the time and supplies that I had.

Luckily, the bride never knew what the original cake looked like. So I was happy that I was there and just happened to be a cake decorator! I still cant believe it. AAHHH! And, she was so proud of her cake and was taking pictures of it. My mom said she had asked her if she did this for a living and she said yes! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway thanks for listening!

For some reason I ca not upload pics on my forum posts. So Iam gonna post the picture in my photos. I will label it befoer and I will post the one of the after.

[img][/img][img]

168 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 6:50am
post #2 of 169

They were very lucky you were there, you had icing, and you had the ability to fix it! Nice repair job, btw!

Just curious...

How did you wind up fixing the humpty humps?

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 6:53am
post #3 of 169

Wow, wow, wow........just thank goodness you were there! A 10 year old could have one better than that!!! I hope the bride didn't have to pay for that mess!!! Unreal........but.....Mark one up for yourself you deserve it!

Chippi

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 6:58am
post #4 of 169

What a shame............I know I see pics of some wedding cakes and cannpt believe they have the gaul to sell them they look horrible, and I can't believe they are in business. Thank heaven you were there.

nwnest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nwnest Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 7:49am
post #5 of 169

Unbelievable that she had the nerve to charge that much when she clearly was clueless about what she was doing. You really did a terrific job making it pretty.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 8:00am
post #6 of 169

You did a nice job saving the cake. The "after" looks great.

aDBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aDBakes Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 8:07am
post #7 of 169

icon_surprised.gif OMG, I can't believe the cake was delivered and set up like that! In this day and age!! Wow.. just wow!

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 8:23am
post #8 of 169

Nice save - are you in a position to blacklist this decorator from your facility??

Ren715 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ren715 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 8:24am
post #9 of 169

Do you always carry spare icing with you? lol. I'm glad this story has a happy ending....very lucky bride to have you watching over her. You're like a guardian cake angel icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 8:28am
post #10 of 169

omg what a wonderful job at a 'save'!

Even if someone has never made a wedding cake in their life, there is no way they can look at that and think, "Yeah! Good job!"

I can't believe she can pay the overhead of a shop if this is the quality of work that she does.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 9:59am
post #11 of 169

Wow, the original cake was pathetic but your redo looked pretty good considering what you had to work with. Did you level and flip the cakes? If someone wanted to hurt and/or embarrass a bride on her wedding day a cake like that would be a good way to go about it. And getting 250 bucks for it would really be the bonus. It almost looks like an intentional botch job.

It was a blessing you were there and prepared to make repairs. I assume that's why you had icing and tools on hand. Hm?

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 10:23am
post #12 of 169

Nice save! thumbs_up.gif I would definitely try to get that other cake decorator on a list of people you will not allow in the event center. I'm with CarolAnn.. it does look like an intentional botch job. Did the bride not see the decorators previous work? Maybe this was her 1st wedding cake and she was flying by the seat of her pants. But my gosh.. stacking and leveling is a key essential part of decorating!! icon_surprised.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 11:13am
post #13 of 169

I think this would outrage any cake decorator! That lady has no idea how to decorate cakes. I just can't understand how people get away with things like this. You did a great job at saving the cake. Does this "decorator" have a business? home baker?

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 11:15am
post #14 of 169

You did a beautiful job!! Did it taste ok???

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 11:17am
post #15 of 169

MandaBrizown, you did a great rescue job!! What a blessing for that bride. You saved her years of crying each time she looked at her wedding photos!

I agree with the others, if you can blacklist this person from the facility you will be doing a service to future brides!

May the good you've done be repaid to you a hundredfold!
Kathi

wyovol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wyovol Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 11:51am
post #16 of 169

Oh my word. How could anyone look at the before picture and think that was OK? icon_confused.gif

You did a great job with the save!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 11:54am
post #17 of 169

I think it looks intentional too. That's the only way I can wrap my mind around it.

Normally I wouldn't recomment touching another caker's wedding cake, but I make an exception in this case. Thank God you got the MOB to see the before and after...and thought to take pictures. This bride will be grateful to you forever for that.

I hope she seeks a full refund too. Unreal!

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 12:14pm
post #18 of 169

looking at the before and after, i cant believe the orginal decorater thought that they cake was acceptable :O I mean its really baffeling me as to how she could possibly think it was up to standard, Your did a wonderful job on the save, you saved that poor bride alot of grief, the nerve of some people is beyond me

psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 12:26pm
post #19 of 169

WOW...just WOW! That before cake was unreal! I hope that decorator got a call from the bride's mom about that. I can't ever wrap my mind around her charging for that. It isn't even remotely passable as a stacked cake and her finishing skills...well...no comment. I'm by no means that great myself but I can honestly say that cake is disappointing.

They were VERY lucky that you were there!! The after cake is lovely! You really fixed it up nice! thumbs_up.gif

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 12:53pm
post #20 of 169

I read your post and thought "you must be exaggerating" but OMG! that leaves me without words. Shame on anyone getting paid for that, kudos to you for a great save!

LindaB2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaB2010 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:12pm
post #21 of 169

I only do cakes for fun now and then and I know that one is a mess. You did a great job of saving it. That cake could had made for a very disappointing day. I can't believe anyone would pay for somthing like that.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:12pm
post #22 of 169

I commented on the cake pic. and I stand by it. You are SUCH a wonderful gal doing this for this bride AND the bride should ask for some kind of refund and pass it on to you as a tip for saving her cake!! I can't believe what you did to that cake!!

This has got to be one of the BEST all time saves of a wedding cake!

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:16pm
post #23 of 169

wow !!! that is crazy someone would even have the nerve to deliver something like that.

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:23pm
post #24 of 169

You did an absolutely amazing job with the save. Bless your heart for saving that bride's day!

As for the before picture, I am absolutely speechless. A blind monkey could have done a better job.

::shakes head::

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:35pm
post #25 of 169

Only a passionate cake decorator would happen to have extra icing, piping tools, and spatula on hand in case of emergency icon_lol.gif
I wouldn't go so far as to blacklist the original decorator...her quality of work (or lack thereof) will eventually catch up to her on its own. I hope she takes some classes or reads some cake books to help her correct her mistaken ideas of leveling, icing, stacking, etc. Anyway... GREAT save... your scroll work is really pretty!

Melanie Mc.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:36pm
post #26 of 169

OMG!
She actually left the cake boards like that???? I can't believe that!

I hope you showed the brides the before and after pics.... she should get her money back! icon_evil.gif a child could have done better ast that

Thank God you were there... what you did for that bride is priceless... truly

THank you for your kindness... icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif
I know most of us cake artists would die if something like that came to our attention, we can't help but want to make it better....

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:38pm
post #27 of 169

before I forget....

that cake decorator lacked something that no one might be able to teach her.... COMMON SENCE.... helloooooo

the after pics... amazing! and you didn't even have to do it... but you truly saved her day....

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:41pm
post #28 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatdessert1st

I wouldn't go so far as to blacklist the original decorator...her quality of work (or lack thereof) will eventually catch up to her on its own.

If I were just a decorator, I might say the same thing. But if I owned a venue, I would feel a responsibility to my brides to refer them to GOOD vendors. I would want their experience at my facilty to be a good one. Even tho' I didn't make the cake, their experience would be impacted. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if one of my venue brides told me she was using this cake person and I just sat back and said to myself, "oh well! she'll learn her mistake on her wedding day!"

And the way it "catches up to her" is by not being permitted inside reputable facilities because of her lack of quality and talent.

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:48pm
post #29 of 169

Wow, that is a classic cake wreck if I ever saw one. Great save!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:48pm
post #30 of 169

GO DEBI!! GO DEBI!! lol

You are right though, I think if I had control over what vendors were allowed to provide services inside MY facility, this decorator wouldn't be one of them! Besides, I wouldn't want pics of HORRIBLE cakes with the backdrop being MY facility floating all over the net either. Especially if people hear "the lady that runs the place decorates cakes too" they might think YOU made that cake!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%