Too Tall Cake Tiers?

Decorating By Foolhardyheroes Updated 16 Mar 2010 , 8:57pm by ayerim979

Foolhardyheroes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foolhardyheroes Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 4:39am
post #1 of 4

Hey everyone! In the next couple of weeks I have a wedding cake to do.... I do have experience with stacked cakes but with this cake in particular the tiers themselves are going to be much taller than others ive done in the past (probly about 6 inches each). My concern is that since each tier is so large it will be difficult to cut and will make the slices extremely tall and hard to serve.... I dont Know... is there anyway to prevent this?

Its going to be a three tier fondant cake.

3 replies
LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 4:52am
post #2 of 4

Could you put a board in the middle - like two separate cakes, maybe only three layers each and ice them together? I did that for a "cube" shaped cake. When they cut it - they cut the top down to the first board - basically serving the top half first - then removed the board and cut and served the bottom half. But it looked like just one teir when it was iced - hope that makes sense.

Foolhardyheroes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foolhardyheroes Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 4

You know! I actually had thought about doing that.... but I couldn't find any info or signs that it was normal so I didn't want to risk trying it on someones wedding cake! But thanks as long as I know it can and has been done... puts my mind at ease thumbs_up.gif thank you!

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeckieAnne

Could you put a board in the middle - like two separate cakes, maybe only three layers each and ice them together? I did that for a "cube" shaped cake. When they cut it - they cut the top down to the first board - basically serving the top half first - then removed the board and cut and served the bottom half. But it looked like just one teir when it was iced - hope that makes sense.

I usually do that, but most of the time I love how a big thin wedge looks like, but it is a hassle to cut sometimes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%