Giant Bowl Of Ice Cream + How To???'s

Decorating By korkyo Updated 15 Mar 2010 , 6:43pm by nesweetcake

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 3:12am
post #1 of 6

I have to do a large 12' round size bowl of ice cream in fondant.

The bottom would be beveled in.... I want to use 3 layers of cake to give it a bettter shape.

How well do you think that would work with the fondant adn scoops of ice cream on to of that made from cake. Maybe I should make that part from rice crispise??

HELP!!

5 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 7:44am
post #2 of 6

Hi, I would make the well in the middle of the cake, like you said and then cover it in 2 pieces. One from the bottom going up into the well and then one inside the well meeting up neatly with the other. Yes, I would suggest you make the ice cream scoops out of rice crispies and then cover in fondant, because they will hold the shape for you better. To add a touch to it, you could also use chocolate fondant and string it along over the scoops like it was hot fudge syrup. Just an idea. Oh and how about a spoon to go with it. HTH good luck

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks,

Do you think if I did it all inone piece of fondant covering the top and down the sides that it would have issues with the fondant staying on? Sort of like doing a topsey turvey cake.

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 2:30pm
post #4 of 6

Your very welcome. Well, you could give it ago but you know fondant isn't always forgiving. the reason I suggested the 2 pieces is because, I think that it will be much easier to cover. As well as, look neater at the bottom. I mean, you won't have to worry about trying to get the bottom to look nice because, it will already be smooth. Oh, one more thing, you could also make a rim for the outside(top) of the bowl to really give it life. HTH icon_smile.gif

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 3:13pm
post #5 of 6

i just did a "bowl of cereal" cake that sounds similar to the bowl of ice cream cake that you are wanting to do. if i were you, i'd make a very shallow 10 inch round cake and then two 12 inch rounds. i'd use the 10 inch round for the bottom of the bowl and then stack the 12's on top (you may need to torte and fill to get just the right height). then flip the whole cake over and carve down to the 10 inch to make the round underpart of the bowl. i then crumb coated my cake and stuck it in the freezer. 15 min. later, i pulled it out and put my buttercream on it (of course, don't put the final coat of buttercream on the bottom of the "bowl"), waited for it to crust, smoothed it out, and then back in the freezer til hard. once hard, i pulled it out, flipped it over so it's now sitting "top of the bowl" up. this is when i carved a well out and crumb coated the well and the "lip" of the bowl. stuck back in freezer. pulled out 15 minutes later and buttercreamed the lip, waited for it to crust, smoothed it. back in freezer. finally, it was time to royal ice the well, pour the cereal in and voila!!!

if you want to fondant the bowl, i think it would be fine to do it with one piece and i'd do it when the bowl was upside down after crumb coating it. just give yourself some extra fondant to work with so when you invert the bowl, you can flip the extra fondant over the top. trim the excess as you carve your well?

and for the ice cream, i think if you made some buttercream and added very little liquid, you should be able to use an ice cream scoop and scoop out a pretty realistic scoop of ice cream. of course tint it however you'd like for whatever flavor you want icon_smile.gif
LL

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 6:43pm
post #6 of 6

Here is what I do for the perfect Ice Cream! Melt white chocolate, add in colors if you wish, pink, etc. use the powder coloring or colors by Americolor for chocolate. Once you have the correct color, add a few drops of water til the chocolate begins to tighten up, then grab your Ice Cream scoop and begin scooping out balls. They even have the ripples in them, like real Ice Cream and is much quicker than making Krispy balls and covering with fondant. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%