Covering Waffle Cones In Colored Sugar

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 18 Mar 2010 , 3:26am by cakesrock

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 3:04am
post #1 of 5

I am making a castle cake and am covering the turrets (waffles cones) in pink colored sugar. I tried painting it with corn syrup, then shaking the sugar on,and rolling it but it's not working that well. The color of the cones (brown) is still showing through and I did it 2X icon_sad.gif It works well when I make cookies, but this does not seem to be working for this project!
Any other suggestions on how to do this?

Thanks!

4 replies
JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 4:56am
post #2 of 5

You could cover the cones in melted white chocolate or candy melts or Royal icing or Glace. Then shake the sugar on before it drys.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 11:55pm
post #3 of 5

I covered the cones in melted white chocolate, and then I rolled the cones in a bowl of the colored sugar. That's the only way I could actually get it to stick. If I just sprinkled, they rolled right off.

Tracy7953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy7953 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 3:58am
post #4 of 5

I would try icing the cones in colored buttercream or colored royal icing and rolling in the sugar. I have a castle to make this weekend - let me know if that works!!!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:26am
post #5 of 5

Tried RI and didn't like the look. I'm going to try pink Wilton candy melts. Am going away this weekend, so won't have time until next week!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%