A Better Cutter

Decorating By DanaG21 Updated 16 Mar 2010 , 3:43pm by Loucinda

DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 2:25am
post #1 of 16

What does everyone use to cut even fondant ribbons? I have my cutter from my Wilton class but it doesn't cut sharp or clean enough. But I love that it has the spacers and I don't have to measure anything. Is there something better out there?

15 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 3:02am
post #2 of 16

This is what I use:

http://bakerstools.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=13955&Category_Code=CUT&Product_Count=11

Pricey, but I love it. Also, if you grease your cutting wheel (no matter what it is, wilton or this one, they will make a cleaner cut.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 3:04am
post #3 of 16

We tend to do ours freehand....We have seen some people use rulers to get the straight edges.

Paul

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 7:42am
post #4 of 16

Yardstick and a knife

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 7:52am
post #5 of 16

I use the one that Sharon Zambito sells on her website. It works great. Her website is sugaredproductions.com

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 8:17am
post #6 of 16

Cindy, I've always wanted one of those. They are soo expensive...I'll have to put that on my wishlist, hehe.

Another alternative is what Normita mentioned. I got mines at Sharon's website...I have used it on most of my latest cakes.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sada Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 12:29pm
post #8 of 16

ruller and pizza cutter, or freehand if i'm in a hurry

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 3:17pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

This is what I use:

http://bakerstools.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=13955&Category_Code=CUT&Product_Count=11

Pricey, but I love it. Also, if you grease your cutting wheel (no matter what it is, wilton or this one, they will make a cleaner cut.

WHAT A GREAT TIP! I always get 'fuzzy' edges, cant wait to try this one! icon_biggrin.gif

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:54am
post #11 of 16

I use a palette knife and free hand it.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 4:07am
post #12 of 16

Loucinda...I have the same one and find, even with the little screw/wheel thingie, I cannot keep the wheels even. Any tips? I find I usually just end up using a pizza wheel and ruler. I would use it for pasta, but my pasta machine already has cutter attachments. (Hey, just now as I typed this I think I will try that with fondant, maximum = noodle size?) It was such a disappointment after the cost. Rylan, I'll be willing to let it go if you pm me.

Loucinda Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 12:00pm
post #13 of 16

Mine actually has a screw thingy (sorry don't know the technical term!) that you screw down to "lock" it where you want it. Not sure if all of them have that option?? The only thing I have to watch is to make sure I am using even pressure so the wheels on the ouutside edges cut through the gumpaste/fondant all the way. I love it, I can cut the exact same width pieces with one swipe, no measuring each time.

That is a good price on the ebay one!

EDITED TO ADD: I just checked out the ebay one again, and the wheels don't look like they are on there very good. I am not a pro, but possibly there are different levels of quality on this tool? Mine is very sturdy, and locks down perfectly when I tighten the screw.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 2:02pm
post #14 of 16

Loucinda, that's kinda why I backed off it, it looked like the wheels might be 'wiggly'... not good for what we would want it for but I sure would love to find an inexpensive version of this tool!

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 2:31pm
post #15 of 16

Thanks Loucinda. I believe we have the same model for mine cost in the $60s also. That is why I am so annoyed. Maybe I will look into Sharon Zambito's. I've always liked her products and her recommendations are valuable. I just hate have to purchase two of the same thing, especially when the first is so much more expensive than the second!

Loucinda Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:43pm
post #16 of 16

MM - for the money that it cost, I would consider getting ahold of the place where you purchsased it, and ask for a replacement......you're right, for that kind of money - the tool needs to perform as it is supposed to!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%