Black Color "bleeding" On Fondant....

Decorating By sherrywarf Updated 15 Mar 2010 , 4:21am by cvigil

sherrywarf Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 2:12am
post #1 of 2

I recently did a cake this past weekend that was really funky in design. It was a Chocolate cake that was iced in white buttercream icing that was then airbrushed with a tie-dyed effect with yellow, orange, pink, and green. On the sides, I then laid white MMF ribbons that crisscrossed to look like a present. On the white ribbons, I hand painted with black americolor gel (with a small amount of vodka) zebra stripes. I topped this off with a bright purple bow on top. When the customer came approximately 1.5 later (after painting) for pickup, I noticed that where I had painted the black on the white MMF there was a purplish "seeping" occurring around the zebra stripes. This has never happened to me before and I was wondering if anyone knew why it happen this time or could give me some pointers to keep it from happening again. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

P.S. I am posting a picture of the cake but you cannot see the "seeping" effect yet in the photos.
LL

1 reply
cvigil Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 4:21am
post #2 of 2

I have never had this happen to me either but the first thing that comes to mind is too much vodka on the brush. I usually dab my brush on a paper towel before applying to the cake. Your cake came out great by the way. Looks like it all came together nicely.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%