Milky Imbc???

Decorating By Rose_N_Crantz Updated 18 Mar 2010 , 9:07pm by LuvLyrics

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:06am
post #1 of 9

So I made my second ever batch of IMBC the other day. Love it. And the hot spatula method of smoothing it works great! Now I'm piping a design on it (it's a practice cake) and the bc is coming out of the tip all milky. I get some good stuff coming out, but it's like it's separated or something.

What could be causing this? Does it have to be warmer to pipe with? It's still kinda cool, but not fresh out of the fridge either.

If it makes any difference, I tend to have heater hands when I start piping.

8 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:15am
post #2 of 9

i think you need to put in frig. for moment. saying you have hot hands. thats the problem.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:18am
post #3 of 9

Did you rewhip it after it came to room temp before you started piping with it? It needs that.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 2:14am
post #4 of 9

I did not rewhip it. I will do that. Tomorrow. Now I must get to bed, but I should have a finished cake tomorrow night. My hubby is practically salivating at the thought.

I'm not sure if putting it in the fridge is going to do anything because it was already chilled. I'm going to let it come to complete room temp tomorrow and rewhip it. See if that helps.

If anyone else has any other advice please let me know!

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 2:40am
post #5 of 9

IMBC it's very stable, and b/c the eggwhites are cooked with the hot syrup it is safe to keep out of the fridge, mine holds good for more than a week.

*Was it milky when you put it aways?
*Did you add the butter when the eggwhites were at room temp? this is very important to get the right consistency.
In my opinion, using good quality butter helps too, big difference in texture and flavor.
And also remember the heat of your hands will melt the butter too, you may want to do 75% butter and 25% high ratio shortening. I use 100% butter if the weather it's good. Keep your house cool while working with IMBC.
* Which recipe are you using?

I love IMBC, in my opinion to work with this cream and getting it as smooth as possible shows great technique, and it tastes great!

Good luck
Anna

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 11:33pm
post #6 of 9

So I log onto CC today and I see a little flashing light by my inbox. 3 new messages???? I never get messaged on here! So I check the first one, from Jan, subject line saying my post was moved. I'm thinking, "Why? I had it in the right spot." Then I read the mail and find out she moved it hoping I would get more help in this forum.

Awwwww! Thanks Jan!

Thanks for the help guys! I've got it sitting out warming up right now.

To answer LuvLyrics, it only became milky when I was piping with it, the egg whites were at room temp when I added the butter (I've watched the cakelove tutorial on YouTube a few times, I could almost reenact it!!), and I used the recipe in the tutorial I just mentioned.

I was excited this turned out at all. The first time I tried it, I tried warming it up too fast after I chilled it and the butter and sugar just separated. Lesson learned: do not attempt to speed up warming IMBC by placing the bowl next to a preheating oven!

Also I did do the upside down method when I iced it and was blown away with the results! I'm doing this from now on! Although I used parchment paper and I think it absorbed some moisture and caused a wrinkle. I was able to fill it up alright I think, but next time I think I'll use wax paper.

So I'm gonna let it warm up, then I'm going to rewhip it and then finish the cake. I'll try to post some pics when I'm done.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 11:58pm
post #7 of 9

can,t wait to see the pics.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:37am
post #8 of 9

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1614892

I was very pleased with the upside down method, and rewhipping the bc after it was warm helped immensely! It was absolutely perfect! I tried piping a rose, but didn't use it on the cake. It turned out great though. So I'm pleased that the roses hold up, I'm pleased with the piping, and I'm very pleased with the ease of it! I have issues with my hands if I pipe too much (or even just a bit) but this frosting was so nice and soft it didn't hurt my hands at all!

I think I'm a convert! Gimme some more of that kool-aid!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 9:07pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1614892

I was very pleased with the upside down method, and rewhipping the bc after it was warm helped immensely! It was absolutely perfect! I tried piping a rose, but didn't use it on the cake. It turned out great though. So I'm pleased that the roses hold up, I'm pleased with the piping, and I'm very pleased with the ease of it! I have issues with my hands if I pipe too much (or even just a bit) but this frosting was so nice and soft it didn't hurt my hands at all!

I think I'm a convert! Gimme some more of that kool-aid!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I used the upside down method on my last IMBC cake too and almost cried of joy!!! what a difference specially getting nice edges. I am glad everything turn out good.

Anna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%