Getting Accent Pieces To Match Up On The Circumfrence

Decorating By kellyhoffer Updated 16 Mar 2010 , 9:11pm by poohsmomma

kellyhoffer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyhoffer Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 12:51am
post #1 of 11

what is the mathmatical equation for figuring out how to accents all the way around the circumfrence of a cake with no gaps....ie...diamond shapes.
Do you measure after the icing is on because that adds to the diameter? I am math handicapped and can't figure it out on my own. I imagine it is Diameter x pie and figuring out how big you want your accent pieces

10 replies
djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:14am
post #2 of 11

Yes, I would figure it WITH icing...and your calculations are correct: circumference is 3.14xdiameter. icon_smile.gif
Hope that helps!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:15am
post #3 of 11

I find trying to do it with math pretty tedious.

I ice the cake, chill it to firm up buttercream (if that's the final icing layer), and then wrap a piece of register tape around it (you can buy rolls of that cheap at office supply stores) for the exact circumference. I take the paper tape and fold it over and over until I get divisions that are the size of the deco I need to apply.

The end result is that I know how many to cut and I can gently mark the cake using the tape, too. If I'm hand cutting the decos, I now know exactly how big I can make them.

Very few pre-measured cut outs, like cookie cutters, etc., will come out exactly. You often need to find a spacing that will allow a bit of wiggle room.........

Rae

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:54am
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I find trying to do it with math pretty tedious.

I ice the cake, chill it to firm up buttercream (if that's the final icing layer), and then wrap a piece of register tape around it (you can buy rolls of that cheap at office supply stores) for the exact circumference. I take the paper tape and fold it over and over until I get divisions that are the size of the deco I need to apply.

The end result is that I know how many to cut and I can gently mark the cake using the tape, too. If I'm hand cutting the decos, I now know exactly how big I can make them.

Very few pre-measured cut outs, like cookie cutters, etc., will come out exactly. You often need to find a spacing that will allow a bit of wiggle room.........

Rae

I was going to suggest using a dress makers tape measure -- but this is SO much better and even allows you to sketch on the paper too! thumbs_up.gif

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:56am
post #5 of 11

ummm....yeah - that does sound MUCH easier!!!! icon_smile.gif Yet another great idea here on CC! icon_smile.gif Thanks, Rae & Doug!

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 2:59am
post #6 of 11

I always wondered about the circumference too, good question!

And wow, BlakesCakes, thank you! What a great idea icon_biggrin.gif

kellyhoffer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyhoffer Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 11

Wow thanks RAE!!!!!!I was thinking a sheet of paper layed flat but that is ingenious. Thanks so much thumbs_up.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 9:24pm
post #8 of 11

Glad to be of help. I hope that it works out well for you.

Rae

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 12:57am
post #9 of 11

That is INGENIOUS!!! I never would have come up with that - thank you sooo much!! icon_biggrin.gif

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 2:16am
post #10 of 11

I do that, too, the template. I learned it in a class with Earlene Moore! Great class. You can use your template to divide your cake into perfectly even sections and to cut perfect shapes!

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 9:11pm
post #11 of 11

I'm such a klutz that when I wrap a paper around the cake I end up marking my buttercream!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%