imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 10:44pm
post #1 of 11

Do I leave out oil or anything?[/u]

10 replies
imartsy Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 11:23pm
post #2 of 11

We'll I kept everything in. In the oven now. Keeping my fingers crossed. Batter tasted pretty good

imartsy Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 12:30am
post #3 of 11

Well I thought it was fine - toothpick came out clean, it baked up really high - but then it sank... and it looks like it didn't bake all the way through - but it did.... I know it did. I poked it with a toothpick in several places and it all came out clean... I'm wondering if it is just the butter and oil is too much?

It tastes good... but I don't want people to get sick on it..... I just ate a bunch of the edges....and my husband had some too - he just said it was really moist. What do you all think?

It looks striated - I think that's the word - inside. Kinda mushy in the middle of the entire thing.... not like it didn't cook in just the very center... like the whole sheet....

I don't know if I should continue with it or what icon_cry.gif

I was going to spread some caramel filling on the top of it, put some toasted coconut on top and drizzle with a chocolate ganache.... and then I was going to cut it up into little squares and put them into mini cupcake wrappers.... do you think I should keep going with that? Will the edges of the cake dry out if I cut it and put it into mini cupcake wrappers?

Torts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torts Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:02am
post #4 of 11

Okay so I'm fairly new- but I use the DH butter recipe golden cake mix (Moist Delux) with some adjustments to make it hold up better-

1 box cake mix
4 eggs (instead of the #called for on the box... I believe it is 3)
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup butter (one stick... which is what the box calls for)

I don't use any oil in there (of course, the box doesn't call for any either).

This one always holds up great for me- dense but moist. It's a favorite in my small cake world.

Not sure if that's exactly what you're looking for... and I realize you already made the cake this time... but maybe it will help for future reference.

imartsy Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:17am
post #5 of 11

Anyone know what I can do in the meantime? Can I still use the cake even though it's really moist? My husband and I ate the scraps about an hour ago and we're still fine.... : )

imartsy Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:39am
post #6 of 11

help?

AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 2:08am
post #7 of 11

I'm still pretty new at this but I haven't ever used buter and oil. I think its generally one or the other. I personally wouldn't use it. If the cake is already mushy I would think any type of filling would just make it worse. Just my opinion.....but I am a newbie

imartsy Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 2:24am
post #8 of 11

Had to throw. It out icon_sad.gif the bottom didn't cook - I've never heard of the bottom noit cooking...5hat must be what happens when you try to do durable cake with a butter cake mix recipe. Guess I'll start over tomorrow with a recipe mix that doesn't call for butter

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 2:28am
post #9 of 11

I have tried using the same type of mix a long time ago and unfortunately I gave up. I personally think the butter cake is the type of cake that you leave in the pan and throw some icing on the top and take it to a potluck. Maybe you could try the wasc cake there are lot of good reviews on it.

imartsy Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 4:59pm
post #10 of 11

Torts does the buttermilk change the flavor? I usually hate to buy buttermilk b/c I never use it all.

Torts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torts Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 2:07am
post #11 of 11

I didn't notice a change in flavor at all. The butter cake has always been my favorite- hate chocolate and never cared for white... I only started using the buttermilk in it about 6 months ago... but it lived up to my memories of childhood birthday cakes. It tastes the same to me, merely seems to hold up better. I wouldn't recommend it for a carving cake, but I've found it to hold up well. I used it in my Saints fleur di lis and my corset cakes in my photos, as an example. (Ok so I'm no pro at decorating, haha, but just to show that it withstood the stacking and fondant!)

By the way, the alteration originally came from the book Hello, Cupcake! The author recommended the buttermilk instead of the water so the cupcakes could support creative decorations. She didn't specifically say it could be used to adapt a butter cake recipe, but I tried and I was happy with the results!

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%