Finally Finished And Delivered The Baby Shower Cake....but..

Decorating By me_mysister Updated 15 Mar 2010 , 12:47am by me_mysister

me_mysister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_mysister Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 14

my sister really brought me down when we were decorating it. She asked me,"Should we really be charging her $150 for this cake?" I asked her,"Why not?" (The cake is uploaded and it's the one with the baby booties.) And she replies,"Because I just don't think that we're doing a good enough job to charge that much." I know we're good...but she just made me second guess ourselves. Should we have charged less for that cake? Sometimes I think we don't charge enough.

13 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 14

I looked in your pictures, but I didn't see it. How big was it?

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 14

pretty cake, $150 does seem pricey, but how many people did the cake feed?

me_mysister Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 11:04pm
post #4 of 14

Here is the link: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1611355.html

She wanted the cake to feed about 25-35 people. (I know this cake is designed to feed more than that (10" & 6"), but she wasn't too comfortable going with the smaller sized cake I suggested.)

pat-a-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pat-a-cakes Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 11:09pm
post #5 of 14

It's a very nice cake and you did a great job. That said I am still new to the cake business but $150 does seem pricey. I'm not basing that at all on quality or you workmanship it's great. In my area people balk at $60 for a similar style of cake.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 11:10pm
post #6 of 14

I charge $150.00 for that size cake.I don't think it is too much.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 11:19pm
post #7 of 14

That would work out to about three dollars a serving, without charging extra for the gumpaste booties. I don't think most people consider that unreasonable.

If that's what someone is willing to pay for your work and you feel like it's enough for your time and effort, then why question it? It sounds like you and your customer were both satisfied.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 11:20pm
post #8 of 14

personally i think 150 is steep for your level of work. No offence meant, its a great cake i just think a perhaps if it was a little neater it would have made all the difference.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 11:31pm
post #9 of 14

I think it's a little too much. Our high-end bakery doesn't even charge that much for that size cake and her work is absolutely flawless.

QueenOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenOfSweets Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 11:31pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Quote:

If that's what someone is willing to pay for your work and you feel like it's enough for your time and effort, then why question it? It sounds like you and your customer were both satisfied.

I completely agree with Texas_Rose. Prices vary SO MUCH from location to location, so it's hard for another person to say whether your price is right. If your customer agreed to pay the amount you quoted and is happy with the cake , that's what matters. All of us continually improve our skills with each and every cake we do. Don't get discouraged or second-guess yourself! I love the colors you chose for this cake - very "springtime!"

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 11:38pm
post #11 of 14

if you and the customer are happy-isnt that what matters?
the worse thing you can do is second guess your business decision.
its done-move on.
some people will never pay more than supermarket prices-others are willing to pay the extra to get a unique cake that was made especially for them.
im sure your co-worker has seen your work (or tasted it) prior to ordering a cake from you, so she was comfortable paying what you charged.
fondant work and making the booties takes alot of time and you should be compensated for it.

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 11:38pm
post #12 of 14

$3 per serving, sounds great to me icon_smile.gif I know the feeling of am I worth what I charged, but as stated before If your customer happily paid $150 then you charged the appropriate amount. I did a cake and I charged $120 and up until I delivered it I thought I may be charging to much, and then the birthday girl said it was even better than she thought. I'm in real estate as my day job, and the saying goes, if they're willing to pay--that's how much its worth icon_smile.gif Keep up the good work!!

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 11:40pm
post #13 of 14

I agree.. if your customer paid that much and was satisfied then don't doubt yourself! And yes if you break it down per serving that is spot on!

me_mysister Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 12:47am
post #14 of 14

She was very happy when she saw the cake. Caths_Cakes, no offense taken. I can always take constructive critism.

Thanks for all the replies. I will keep all of that in mind.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%