Cake Ball Coating

Decorating By Sweet_Kakes Updated 15 Mar 2010 , 11:17pm by xmstazx

Sweet_Kakes Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 9:43pm
post #1 of 8

I made thin mint cake balls for the first time ever... The cake balls came out great and so i am going to dip them in white candy melts and everything goes wrong. The candy melts are melted perfectly but its not thin enough to cover the cake balls. They started coming out aweful not smooth at all. Can I please get some advice on fixing this issue.

7 replies
weirkd Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 10:02pm
post #2 of 8

I think you should ask the cake ball queen Bakerella! She makes them into the neatest pops and things and hers always come out so cute!

metria Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 8

you can add shortening to the candy melts to help thin it out

Mrs-A Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 11:36pm
post #4 of 8

i had the same problem and on the cake ball thread i was advised to thin the chocolate with paramount crystals (its a type of solid coconut oil from what i guess) and it works a treat - used them yesterday for RV cake balls

Amberly10 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 8

I had the same problem! I did cakepops and used the chocolate candy melts and everything was fine. Then I tried to use the white candy melts and my cakepops turned into one big mess!! I will try putting some shortening into it the next time. Great post, thanks!!

dalis4joe Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:24pm
post #6 of 8

Hi..
I'm making cake pops for the first time today.... couple ?'s

1. how big should they be? like a mini-cupcake or a regular cupcake?
2. do you have to use cake scraps or can you bake a batch just for that?
3. if baking a batch... should I use 2" or 4" pans?
4. can I use nestle morsels instead of candy melts?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me....

Amberly10 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 9:37pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

Hi..
I'm making cake pops for the first time today.... couple ?'s

1. how big should they be? like a mini-cupcake or a regular cupcake?
2. do you have to use cake scraps or can you bake a batch just for that?
3. if baking a batch... should I use 2" or 4" pans?
4. can I use nestle morsels instead of candy melts?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me....

Hi! I bake a cake just for my cakepops. I make them into 1 - 1 1/2 inch balls, about the size of a meatball. When I bake my cake I just use a 9x13 inch pan. I think that the chocolate chips should be fine to use. If it seems a little thick add some shorteningicon_smile.gif Hope that helps!!

xmstazx Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 11:17pm
post #8 of 8

According to Bakerella herself "You can add some vegetable oil to help thin it out.Also make sure you melt them slowly and stir in between. Don't overheat. Bakerella" I asked her the same question when I made my cake balls and had issues with the coating being to thick. I was using the yellow waffers and it was way thick.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%