Strawberry Bottomed Cupcakes... Didn't Really Work!

Decorating By kiss_me_now9 Updated 17 Mar 2010 , 6:33pm by kiss_me_now9

kiss_me_now9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiss_me_now9 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 8

First post, starting out with a disaster thumbs_up.gif

I'm probably the most enthusiastic... but worst baker I know! I love making cakes and trying different recipes so when I got a copy of the Hummingbird Bakery book I decided to make the Strawberry cheesecake cupcakes for my mum for mothers day. The things that are wrong:

1) The strawberries have turned into a gloopy, sticky mess at the bottom of the cases... Which is seeping through them and makes the cases impossible to get off in one piece icon_confused.gif

2) The cheesecake icing is just foul... It tastes like really sweet cheese, if you'll excuse the naff description!

3) The actual cake bit (what there is of it, I overloaded on the strawberries) is nice, but again, the bottom bit immediately in contact with the strawberries is gloopy and foul tasting.

Doomed from the start I reckon, I think I'll stick to the normal cupcakes from now on and leave the exotic ones to the professional bakers!

7 replies
JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 5:11am
post #2 of 8

Welcome to CC...

Sorry your cupcakes didn't turn out. I have never tried to make those . I fill my cupcakes all the time, but that is done after baking. There are a few very talented Cupcake Queens on here that may be able to give you some pointers on those.

In the mean time have fun and look around here , you will learn A LOT!

icon_smile.gif

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 8

I was going to suggest doing the cupcakes and filling them after baking! Don't get discouraged, we all start somewhere right!

Jemoiselle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jemoiselle Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 8

Cast my vote for don't give up and try those puppies out again! They sound potentially VERY yummy! Welcome to CC, again!

kiss_me_now9 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemoiselle

Cast my vote for don't give up and try those puppies out again! They sound potentially VERY yummy! Welcome to CC, again!

Unfortunately I have a hatred for anything sweet and fruit flavoured... Dunno why! I probably will make these again but for now I have my sights set on the red velvet cakes (when I'm off lent) and perfecting vanilla cupcakes thumbs_up.gif

Next time I don't think I'll use the cream cheese icing though.

Uhm, dumb question, how do you fill a cake after baking it?!

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiss_me_now9

There are no "dumb questions" You dont know what you don't know, and everyone didnt know something at one time. If we don't ask we will never know! LOL icon_smile.gif

Some people use an apple corer and take a hole out of the middle of the cupcake then fill. I personal dont see the need for all that work. I use the same principle as the filling in a twinkie .

I fill my piping bag with whatever filling I am using and a large round tip like a # 12 or #2A , stick it in the middle of the top of the cupcake and slowly squeeze till just before the top of the cupcake starts to crack. (Heck its gonna be covered with frosting anyway so the crack will never show)
Once you have done a couple you will get the feel of it then you can just stick and squeeze , stick and sqeeze! hahhahahahhaha

My family LOVE lemon cupcakes with raspberry filling!

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 12:48am
post #7 of 8

I do it the same way as JaimeAnn! HTH!

kiss_me_now9 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 6:33pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeAnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiss_me_now9

There are no "dumb questions" You dont know what you don't know, and everyone didnt know something at one time. If we don't ask we will never know! LOL icon_smile.gif

Some people use an apple corer and take a hole out of the middle of the cupcake then fill. I personal dont see the need for all that work. I use the same principle as the filling in a twinkie .

I fill my piping bag with whatever filling I am using and a large round tip like a # 12 or #2A , stick it in the middle of the top of the cupcake and slowly squeeze till just before the top of the cupcake starts to crack. (Heck its gonna be covered with frosting anyway so the crack will never show)
Once you have done a couple you will get the feel of it then you can just stick and squeeze , stick and sqeeze! hahhahahahhaha

My family LOVE lemon cupcakes with raspberry filling!

I am SO trying this later, sounds great! Love the sound of these. Thank you icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%