Cake Scam...what To Do..

Decorating By AmberStandish Updated 20 Mar 2010 , 3:00am by Butterfly27

AmberStandish Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 10

SO my boyfriend's bakery got hit with the cake scam, too...I got super mad and I am trying to resolve the issue any way I can...so if you have been scammed report it to IC3 @ http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx and post this onto any other baking forum. The more complaints the more likely it will be handled! Thanks!

9 replies
indydebi Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 10

which cake scam ... there are quite a few out there.

Loucinda Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 10

My DH is a Police Chief, and has had to take complaints on these types of "scams" now for several years. Some of them have involved elderly people being scammed out of lots of money - it won't hurt to report it, but really, there is nothing that is going to be done about it. There are just not enough resources to investigate the nigerian or jamaican (or wherever it came from) emails/contacts. You just have to be business smart and be able to hit the delete key. It is really sad the people that fall for this stuff. icon_sad.gif

newbaker55 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 9:59am
post #4 of 10

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what a 'cake scam' is. Would someone please explain? icon_confused.gif

cakemom42 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 10:44am
post #5 of 10

I got one the other day, where some one used a cake designers name I knew. This e-mail stated that she was in trouble in the UK and needed money.. 1st sign that it wasn't her she asked for money!!

I ditto other's comments be alert & if they ask for money & are overseas... delete!!!

Jenn2179 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 11:02am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemom42

I got one the other day, where some one used a cake designers name I knew. This e-mail stated that she was in trouble in the UK and needed money.. 1st sign that it wasn't her she asked for money!!

I ditto other's comments be alert & if they ask for money & are overseas... delete!!!

I got one of these also. Only it was using a customers name. No way would a customer be asking me for money. Plus I don't have $1000 to give to some random person anyway!

costumeczar Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:33pm
post #7 of 10

That "mugged in Europe" scam is usually done on facebook, the message looks like it came from one of your friends. Or they call elderly people and claim to be the grandkid who's lost their wallet and doesn't want to call their parents.

2SchnauzerLady Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:44pm
post #8 of 10

I get those on my work email address, made to look like they came from another person in the company. I cracked up when I got one from myself!

KarmaStew Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:25pm
post #9 of 10

Well, dang. Why can't I ever think up any good scams?

Butterfly27 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 3:00am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaStew

Well, dang. Why can't I ever think up any good scams?

LOL...I don't know about you but I actually have better things to do than sit around and think up scams all day. Besides, I'm not that smart yet anyway. I only know how to "cake" not "scam using cake". icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%