What Is Frostin' Pride And Bettercream

Decorating By Traci9130 Updated 22 Oct 2013 , 3:28am by morganchampagne

Traci9130 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Traci9130 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 13

Hi. I have looked at a lot of receipes on here..They call for Frostin' Pride and Bettercream...Where can I buy these?

12 replies
JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 5:18am
post #2 of 13

It depends on where you live. I live in California and get it at Smart & Final. It is kind of hard to find, meaning your local grocer isn't going to carry it. It is usually in the freezer or refrigerated section and looks like a carton of whipping cream or half & half.

If there are Smart & Final stores where you live that is the best place to look.

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 5:40am
post #3 of 13

Bettercreme is a product from Rich's that is their brand of premade icing. You can sign up for a newsletter at www.cakepros.com. They advertise all Rich's products and have lots of pictures and ideas that use Bettercreme. I have never used it myself but I've heard from other cake makers that if you use it under fondant, it will break down and make a big mess.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 6:27am
post #4 of 13

As answered above, both products are a frozen non-dairy whipped topping base which you whip up *yourself* in order to get the final whipped icing product. Frostin' Pride is a flavored (vanilla I guess) version of Pastry Pride. Personally I think Pastry Pride is nasty; I can taste the artificial ingredients and it leaves a film in my mouth. Rich's Bettercreme is just as artificial (LOL) but with a much better taste, and that says a lot coming from me, the person who usually won't touch the manufactured stuff. I can pick up Pastry Pride and Frostin Pride at my local Smart & Final for about $5/quart, but they only carry Rich's in chocolate flavor. So, instead I will drive to the cake shop 10 miles away because it carries Rich's Whipped Topping Base/Whip N Ice (it's like Bettercreme but does not have the long room-temp shelf life...also is not flavored), or...just last Thursday I drove literally 80 miles round trip to pick up some Bettercreme from the only place I can find it around here.

I have seen a few threads (namely, Melvira's "Bettercreme" thread) which mentions a similar/identical product by VelveTop by Dawn but I haven't seen that anywhere.

As PP mentioned, you can also find Bettercreme prewhipped in big buckets, I think that is at Sam's Club and I think you have to ask for it at the bakery counter.

For what it's worth, I once iced a cake in Bettercreme and then applied a thin layer of IMBC over the cake so that I could apply fondant. Worked like a charm. So there are ways to fondant a Bettercreme-iced cake. I have not actually tried fondant straight on top of Bettercreme so although I have read the same warning (that it doesn't work), some day I am going to do a test cake just to see what happens! The Bettercreme itself is strong enough to support the fondant; I think the concept is that it contains too much moisture and it will dissolve your fondant.

Traci9130 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 13

Hi...I am from the East Coast...Is Smart & Final a supermarket???

Don't worry, I am not looking to use it under fondant...I am only looking to use it in some filling recipes that call for it...Maybe you guys can answer my question...Can I substitute heavy cream in place of something that calls for bettercream or Frostin Pride?

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 9:02pm
post #6 of 13

Smart & Final is like a wholesale club store, but you don't have to have a membership to shop there. It is kinda like a restaraunt supply store that is open to the public.

Unfortunately I think they are only as far east as Arizona , so thats not very close to the east coast. icon_sad.gif

It isn't the same as just using Heavy whipping cream, like Ceshell said it is NON-dairy and shelf stable. I will look up and see where people on the east coast are getting it and get back to you.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 9:32pm
post #7 of 13

Ah, here is the Melvira thread, 60 pages of info, and many pages address where to find it. http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-601193.html

I know one store in the Eastern US is GFS (Gordon Food Services) but I have no clue what region that chain serves. JaimeAnn already answered your other question about what the store actually is icon_biggrin.gif. You can also call around to cake shops to see if any carry it...you just never know. Bettercreme can be tricky to find, that's for sure; I do see a lot of folks here just giving up and purchasing the pre-whipped stuff from Sam's Club (that is addressed on the Melvira thread too.)

And yes, as JaimeAnn just said, you cannot simply substitute whipped cream unless you plan to keep the cake refrigerated right up until serving time. Even then I would recommend stabilizing your whipped cream, either by whipping it properly (properly whipped heavy cream stays as stable as whipping in additives) or by using a "Stabilized WC" recipe, usually involving the addition of piping gel or some other agent. If you don't mind keeping the cake in the fridge that IS still a viable option. Personally I would never use plain old whipped cream because I like to make sure my cakes are displayed at the events I take them to...because I am darned proud of them icon_razz.gif.

Traci9130 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 10:50pm
post #8 of 13

I def have a Sam's Club by me and I am a member...So, can I use that if it's prewhipped in a recipe??? Also, to replace the Frostin' Pride in a recipe, what can I use????

I do have a cake supplies place that I go to, maybe they have it...I never checked, because I never had a need too...

I appreciate everything you guys are telling me!

MissJoyous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissJoyous Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 11:27pm
post #9 of 13

I am still trying to figure this out too ~~~ is this stuff just a substitute for frosting? I always make my own, butter cream or a cream cheese base... am I missing something here?

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 1:06am
post #10 of 13

AIt's just a whipped topping that comes in a carton. It's an alternative to buttercream...it's what the grocery stores use as their whipped icing

embersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
embersmom Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 1:24am
post #11 of 13

OP, they sell the bucket of already-whipped Bettercreme at Restaurant Depot. There are also some supermarket bakeries which sell it by the pound, but you have to ask them about it -- it's something they generally don't advertise.

MissJoyous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissJoyous Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 3:17am
post #12 of 13

Okay, so it's like heavy cream...? Or it's already an icing? Hmm.. never heard of either. Guess I'm okay just making my own just wanted to see what I was missing.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 3:28am
post #13 of 13

AIt's already an icing...yeah you're not missing that much. If you like what you do there's no reason to fix what's broken

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%