Long Night ..really Scared ...ambulance Took Husband To Hosp

Lounge By Kiddiekakes Updated 19 Mar 2010 , 12:37pm by Kiddiekakes

Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 24

I am so exhausted and scared...I just spent 9 hours in emergency after calling the ambulance for my husband.He hasn't been feeling good for months..no energy,short of breath..finally yesterday after my daughter's birthday party of all things.... icon_rolleyes.gif He was screaming in so much pain and he began to turn white and his eyes were buldging and his lips were turning blue....

After 9 hours and test after test and Dr's..He had a severe case of Pneumonia...I have never been so scared in my life.

Now that we know I can breathe easier...what a night!

Sorry...I just had to tell someone..I've been so nerved up...and I have two dam cakes due this week also... icon_cry.gif

Laurel icon_smile.gif

23 replies
mim1106 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:48pm
post #2 of 24

Will keep you in my prayers, Kiddiekakes!

Ruth0209 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 24

I can really sympathize with you. It's so exhausting and unnerving. I've been in the ER so many times with my DH, a couple of them with ambulance visits. We even had one helicopter air lift off the ski hill when he had chest pains.

Hang in there. It sounds like he's in good hands. My advice is, DON'T spend 24 hours a day at the hospital with him (if he's still there). You'll just get so tired that you'll end up there with him. Let anyone who offers help you, even if it's just sitting with him, or going to the store for a few groceries for you.

I hope he's feeling better soon. Big hugs to you!!!!!!!1

indydebi Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 24

Prayers and hugs coming from here, too!

Loucinda Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 24

I cannot imagine how scary that would be. You both are in my prayers. Take care of yourself, you can't get rundown too. (I know that is easy for someone "outside" to say - but it is true) Take the offers for help from those who offer it - it makes them feel better to help out too. Keep us posted.

catlharper Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 24

All I can say is ((((((HUGS)))))) hope he's home and healthy SOON!

tatorchip Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 5:27pm
post #7 of 24

Ya'll will be in my prayers (((hugs)))

JulieMN Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 7:55pm
post #8 of 24

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Agree with all those who encourage you to allow others to help you in whatever way they can and for you to take some time to take care of yourself.

prterrell Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 7:57pm
post #9 of 24

You, your DH and your family are in my prayers.

MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 8:38pm
post #10 of 24

Along with the others, I send your DH, you and your loved ones prayers. Went through a terrifying experience last year with my DH who lives in another state and I was just sick with worry. I am glad your DH is getting the treatment he needs, and I hope he's feeling better very soon. Take care & God bless! icon_smile.gif

rosiecast Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 2:04pm
post #11 of 24

Ohh Big hugs for you. Praying your hubby recovers soon.

Bettycrockermommy Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 6:44pm
post #12 of 24

I am sending you prayers and HUGS! My DH has been in and out of the hospital more than 30 times in the last 17 months, so I can sympathize with you. It is terrifying when they are sick, and you are feeling helpless. My advice to you is to make sure that you are taking care of yourself and getting plenty of rest. You won't be any good to him if you are falling apart yourself.

jadedlogic Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 6:55pm
post #13 of 24

You are in my thoughts and prayers!

Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 7:00pm
post #14 of 24

Thanks Everyone!!I really appreciate the kind words and encouragement..They mean alot...Sometimes I feel like my cake friends are the only ones I can relate too...

I was up to see him this morning...he is still in ER triage as there are no beds available...but the upside to that is he is getting better care than he would in a private room..HA!HA! ..He is very weak and on morphine for the pain as his lungs are filled with fluid and it is very painful to breathe.It will be a few days for the antibiotics to kick in but I am so impatient and my 2 kids really miss him...

Thanks again for all the kind words!!

-Tubbs Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 11:31pm
post #15 of 24

Hi Laurel,
I just saw this. Yikes. I really hope your hubby is feeling better soon. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Redsoxbaker Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 12:33am
post #16 of 24

Kiddiekakes, I am sure your hubby will be fine. He was lucky to have you there with him. There is nothing worse than the unknown, but it sounds like he'll be just fine now. Now that you know, now you can get a good night sleep. thumbs_up.gif Please keep us informed on how you are BOTH doing!

JustToEatCake Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 4:07am
post #17 of 24

Oh my goodness! Definitely sending warm thoughts and wishes for for his speedy recovery! It's terribly hard to do the hosp thing. I know!Please keep us posted.

Kiddiekakes Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 11:58pm
post #18 of 24

Well..Its been about 6 days since hubby was rushed to the hospital...We found out he has an Auto Immune Disease and his Immune system was turning on itself destroying his red blood cells...He is on pure oxygen for the pneomonia and morphine for the pain...He has had hundreds of tests,kidney biopsy...ultrasound,cat scans etc..The good news is he is on the mend..his lungs are draining,the pain is subsiding...he has color back in his face but Dr's told me that if I would have waited 30 more minutes to call the ambulance...He would have died....I can't begin to tell you the agony I have been going through this last 6 days...thoughts of becoming a widow at 41 with 2 small children devastated me and my family...I want to Thank everyone here for the support and kind words when I was worrying so bad..The only place I could come to was here to express my feelings...and for that...I am grateful.I am so Thankful that we have a good health care system here in Canada and everything is covered by Heathcare coverage..I don't have to pay a thing!The Dr's and nurses were exceptional and anyone who says any different is plain silly...They deserve a medal for treating and looking after our loved ones!!

Thanks again...LOL

Bettycrockermommy Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 12:00am
post #19 of 24

Thanks for the update. I have been thinking about your family and wondering how your hubby is doing. I am glad to hear that he is on the mend. Take care of yourself and your family.

JustToEatCake Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 12:55am
post #20 of 24

Thanks for the update. I am so happy he is on the mend!

-Tubbs Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 11:06am
post #21 of 24

So glad to hear he's doing better. What a terrible week for you all.

What is his long-term prognosis now? Is this a condition that can be managed with drugs or therapy?

Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 12:03pm
post #22 of 24

Tubbs...Yes..He will have to be on Pretasone all his life for the Auto Immune disease now and will be sucepatable to pneumonia more than most people so we will have to watch that closely.I have never been so scared to lose someone I love before..When my Grandma died 10 years ago we knew cause she was 87 but you never think a spouse who is young and it happened so quick...he was in Edmonton the previous 4 days for work and the Dr's also said if this happened while he was driving home or alone in a hotel room he would not have made it....I believe it wasn't his time..Thank God!!

Jenteach Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 12:31pm
post #23 of 24

Laurel - so glad to hear that he is on the mend. That's horrible about the autoimmune disease though.

About 4 years ago, my hubby took me to the hospital for what we thought was something wrong with my kidneys (my doc couldn't really find out what was wrong with me). It turned out I had double pneumonia and a bacterial infection in my lungs. I was placed on life support and I had a blood transfusion. While I don't remember most of what happened, it was the scariest time for my husband and family. My daughter was 20 months at the time and she almost lost her mommy. I can definitely understand what you are going through and how you must be feeling. Thankfully we do have a wonderful health care system in Canada. YOur husband is in good hands and I'm sure he will be just fine. Did any doctor or nurse mention to him or you that he should get the pneumo-vax? When I was in the hospital, I had a nurse recommend that I get the pneumo-vax since I will now be more susceptible to pneumonia. It is not covered for anyone who is not over 65 or diabetic, but given what your husband has gone through and his autoimmune disease, he would probably qualify. I qualified and I apparently don't have any auto-immune disease (mind you I get sick A LOT). Just something to possibly look into?

If you need to talk, send me a PM.

Take care - I will be thinking of you and your family.

Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 12:37pm
post #24 of 24

Hi Jen,

Yes..they did say he would need to get pneumo-vax so we will be getting it for him!!Thanks fo rthe kind words..I know how your hubby felt...helpless!So glad you are here to talk about it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%