Date Nut Cake

Baking By suethesaz Updated 14 Mar 2010 , 8:16pm by prterrell

suethesaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suethesaz Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 1:50pm
post #1 of 2

Hi, Hope somebody can help this novice cake baker. I am trying to get a really good date nut cake batter going. Started with a yellow cake mix, Baker's nut filling and date filling, added chopped nuts, used buttermilk instead of the water in the recipe and cut some of the oil. Thought the oil in the nut paste would compensate. I think because of the fillings the cake doesn't rise much. For it to cook through the bottom and sides it gets overcooked. Probably because of the high sugar content with the fillings. I haven't wrapped the sides of the pan yet with the strips. Have tasted in a 100 mile radius every bakery that carries date nut cake. Some cakes are lighter and fluffy. Some are heavier. Some cakes are darker some are lighter. Though I find the darker the better the flavor. The cake that wasn't burnt does taste really good though. Do you have to copensate for something else if lots of nuts are in a batter. Thank you so much in advance for looking at this post. This website is AWESOME. and the people that read it and help us newbee's are AWESOME too!

1 reply
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 2

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%