Cake Decorating Business In Calgary

Business By heathers09 Updated 22 Jun 2011 , 3:46am by SuperSaugy

heathers09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heathers09 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 8:04am
post #1 of 8

Does anyone know what the protocol is for selling cakes in Calgary, Alberta, Canada?

Thanks

7 replies
breezski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
breezski Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 8

calgary health region website under environmental services provides information for starting your own food business - short version you need a separate commercial kitchen.

Jokerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heathers09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heathers09 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks for the information. Does anyone know if you can rent a kitchen in a church or a community hall instead of a restaurant.

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 8

Hehe, you could always run under this clause:

Cooks for hire (all food storage and preparation is
done in clients home) do not require a permit but
do require consultation and approval by
Environmental Health.

I'm sure the customer would love to have in their home for a couple of days while you put the cake together... icon_biggrin.gif

In all seriousness though, going by the 'such as a restaurant' I'd imagine that a church or community hall kitchen would work well, assuming it passes all the requirements of course. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out and what other info you find!

hvanaalst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hvanaalst Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 9:29pm
post #6 of 8

I recently did a little research on this as well and you can rent kitchen space and church and community hall were specifically listed as options. I was on an Alberta government site but for the life of me can't find it again.

SuperSaugy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuperSaugy Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 3:46am
post #7 of 8

If you havent found the information yet, you need a seperate liscenced kitchen, or you can rent a kitchen. If you rent a kitchen you either need a storage facility where you can lock your supplies and ingredients on site or an approved location at your house. If it is at your house the basic requirements are the floor needs to be washable (no carpet) and away from all your regular household kitchen items, this includes a seperate fridge/freezer.
You can contact the health region and get all the answers, you will also need to contact the city for proper liscencing, just a FYI, tax on your own litchen $140/year, tax on renting a kitchen $650/year. I have done this, it is a very lengthly and expensive process. One to be thought out well. If you take the chance and just make and sell cakes yo could be reported to the health region and max fine $10,000. Much more expensive in the long run

SuperSaugy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuperSaugy Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 3:46am
post #8 of 8

If you havent found the information yet, you need a seperate liscenced kitchen, or you can rent a kitchen. If you rent a kitchen you either need a storage facility where you can lock your supplies and ingredients on site or an approved location at your house. If it is at your house the basic requirements are the floor needs to be washable (no carpet) and away from all your regular household kitchen items, this includes a seperate fridge/freezer.
You can contact the health region and get all the answers, you will also need to contact the city for proper liscencing, just a FYI, tax on your own litchen $140/year, tax on renting a kitchen $650/year. I have done this, it is a very lengthly and expensive process. One to be thought out well. If you take the chance and just make and sell cakes yo could be reported to the health region and max fine $10,000. Much more expensive in the long run

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%