Help! Freezing Cake With Airbrushed Art On It :)

Decorating By gimmesugar Updated 14 Mar 2010 , 10:44pm by gimmesugar

gimmesugar Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 5:18am
post #1 of 4

I'm making a birthday cake with buttercream frosting and will be airbrushing pictures on it. Long story short, the people eating the cake will be needing to store it for a week and since I'm scared to ask them to store it in the fridge, any advice on how to store it in the freezer? I'm scared that once it starts to thaw out the airbrushed pictures will start to bleed. Anyone experience this?

3 replies
ramacake Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 5:34am
post #2 of 4

The colors on an airbrushed cake will DEFINATELY run on a frozen cake when it thaws out. You are MUCH safer to just refrigerate it. I think it will be fine a week later. I kept a cake in the fridge for three weeks one time, and it was great when we tried it. I was totally amazed. Never thought it was possible to last that long but it did. This was a chocolate cake that we tried this on,so I don't know what another flavor would do, but it tasted like I just made it the day before.

mamawrobin Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 9:55am
post #3 of 4

Yep. It will bleed if frozen.

gimmesugar Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the warning. I had posted a question not too long ago about storing a cake in the fridge for a week and everyone said not to do it because the cake would get stale and the bc would crumble off... but I've eaten week old b-day cake in the fridge and it was fine but the other comments were making me nervous.

Mine is also a chocolate cake. I'll just recommend to put it in the fridge.

Thanks all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%