How Much To Charge For Carved Acoustic Guitar Cake

Decorating By Aeropanda Updated 15 Mar 2010 , 2:55am by Aeropanda

Aeropanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aeropanda Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 4:49am
post #1 of 10

Hey, everyone! I am new to the site, and to cake creations. I have done a few cakes well, and people are beginning to take notice and ask for my help. I have recently been asked to make a carved acoustic guitar grooms cake for a wedding and I have no idea how to price it.

I know that it will be very detailed, and will take some serious time. I have always made MMF at home and it has always worked very well, but for something of this specificity, I am considering buying the Wilton fondant to ensure continuity and quite possibly, my sanity as I have a 17 month old in the home with me!

Another point to consider is that I will be making the wedding cake for the same wedding, so I will already be working on that. I look forward to any suggestions anyone may have to offer.

9 replies
Kandy4283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandy4283 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 10

Pricing varies on your area, you need to add up the prices for your ingredients, cake boards, boxes, if your transporting it (so gas and time), and also for your time, the most valuable thing! Then I normally double that and walah theres your price! But everyone does there pricing different so if you search under the forums and type in pricing you may get a better idea!

Butterfly27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterfly27 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 12:12am
post #3 of 10

I agree that pricing does depend on your area as well. I just wanted to give you a heads up though....I don't recommend the wilton fondant if the cake is going to be eaten. It doesn't taste good IMO. Everyone I have ever talked to about it says they don't like the taste of it. I understand that you will be doing alot of work between both cakes but I suggest that you try to fit in the time to make the MMF. Just a suggestion to think about. I just don't want you to get bad comments on the grooms cake. Good luck with the cakes. icon_wink.gif

idocakes4fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idocakes4fun Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 12:32am
post #4 of 10

I agree w/ Butterfuly27 and was going to suggest the same about the MMF. One of the things people are probably impressed by w/ your work is that it actually tastes good. If you use the Wilton product, it will definitely not be what they've tasted from you before. I have a small child as well and I try to make the MMF when she's napping or before she gets up. I'm learning that night shift is sometimes best for cakes. It makes it tough though. Good luck!!

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 12:36am
post #5 of 10

have you thought about using satin ice? i find wilton fondant is good for covering cake boards and you can use a disc coupon which makes it cost effective.
i dont know about pricing-good luck!
and welcome to CC. you will get alot of helpful information here.

BarbieAnnPlaysWithHerFOOD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbieAnnPlaysWithHerFOOD Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:22am
post #6 of 10

not sure what to suggest for charging but as for fondant i wouldnt use the wilton- i would still with MMF or try satin ice ( or fondarific or chocopan if you are willing to splurge a lil...)

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:40am
post #7 of 10

Keep in mind that if someone got one at Charm City, they'd be paying $1,000 minimum.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:46am
post #8 of 10

The bakery I worked for did a lot of guitar cakes and they always used their smoothed buttercream as the base with only the details in fondant. The cost was based on a per serving basis, and depending upon the detail I know they started at $4 per serving. They would charge 25 cents more per serving for fillings too.
As for fondant flavor I recently discovered Fondarific at a bakery supply store here in town...I got to sample it and it actually tastes good! And it comes in flavors. Here's a website. http://www.fondarific.com/products.html Hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

lisamenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamenz Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 2:03am
post #9 of 10

I would charge somewhere between $5 and $7 dollars for this cake . Like others said it depends on where you live and also how much they want it. Remember not everyone does custom carved cakes. So you should not be afraid to charge for your time and talents. If they don't want to pay, then don't do it. Its alot of work as you know. Also I love fondarific, it comes in so many flavors and colors. It is really nice to work with and taste really great. I use Wilton to cover my cake dummies for shows or other things that most of the time won't get eaten., just decorations. Good luck and Happy Cake Decorating

Aeropanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aeropanda Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 2:55am
post #10 of 10

Thank you all so much for your input! I will be meeting with the bride and her mother on Friday to discuss the specific details and have already begun to put together as much info as I can to offer. I completely understand about the Wilton fondant. I never met a person that would eat the stuff, and I agree with you, idocakes4fun, nap time and after bedtime is when I get the most accomplished! Thanks again for all of your time and comments! I love CC and I've only been on here one day!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%