Swiss Buttercream Separating Disaster

Decorating By symho2000 Updated 14 Mar 2010 , 8:17pm by prterrell

symho2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
symho2000 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:28am
post #1 of 10

Hi,

Can anyone explain to me why my swiss buttercream separates after i refridgerate it? it is perfect after i do it but if i store it in the fridge, after it comes out water (butter?) starts to seep out and it becomes a mess. What happened? I tried to rewhip it but it was not working...HELP!

9 replies
Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:48am
post #2 of 10

i wish i could help, the only time i tried it, i made buttersoup . . lmao ,

gimmesugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gimmesugar Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:56am
post #3 of 10

If you're trying to whip it cold, it'll cause the water and fat to separate. Cold meringue-based BC should always be softened first. Cut the cold BC into chunks, then zap it in the microwave in 5 second intervals, stirring it b/w intervals, until it starts to soften. Then transfer it to your mixing bowl and whip it.

Hope this helps!

Edit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edit Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 4:24am
post #4 of 10

If it was nice and stable when you made it, then it is just too cold when you try to use it, like Gimmesugar said. I wait till mine comes to room temp then rewhip it. But I managed to save ma BC with just microwaving a cupful of BC and add it to the BC then whip the whole thing until it smooths out.

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 4:36am
post #5 of 10

My butter was too cold the last time I made it - and I just rubbed a really hot washcloth around the bottom of my mixer bowl while I was mixing it. I repeated that until all of a sudden - beautiful buttercream! (As soon as it got warm enough).

helsbels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helsbels Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 4:46am
post #6 of 10

When mine is cold I start mixing it in the kitchen aid and use a propane torch on my metal ka bowl to warm it. Gotta be careful though or you could have a mess. icon_biggrin.gif

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 5:52am
post #7 of 10

yep, must be room temp to use. I got impatient and let mine sit outside the fridge for about an hour, then zapped in the micro for 10 secs on 1/2 power..only until it's verrryy slightly warm. no need to whip, just stir with a spoon...never again does it separate!

symho2000 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 12:33pm
post #8 of 10

Oh friends THANKS THANKS AND MORE THANKS....That is what happened...I was in a rush and the icing was too cold...Ok, I know now icon_razz.gif

symho2000 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 1:22pm
post #9 of 10

SO>>>>> will the icing seep water out if I put it in the fridge AFTER I frost the cake (ie icing in the cake)???????????????

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 8:17pm
post #10 of 10

It shouldn't.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%