Looking At The Mmf Recipies Here And..

Decorating By LuvLyrics Updated 24 Mar 2010 , 2:14am by LuvLyrics

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:24am
post #1 of 17

Hi I 've been reading all the different recipies we have here for mmf fondant. I've never made it before and I right now I like Satin Ice. I am pretty new at this, so I've never covered whole cake with fondant either, I have to be honest and confess that I am intimidated by covering a whole cake with fondant.

I was wondering..why do some recipies have glycerin and others don't? and Is there a recipe favored my many here?...

P.S as I was reading about glycerin I found out that there are different types of glycerin, I read about many people buying it at pharmacies, so.. to those getting it at pharmacies..please make sure it says it's food safe..since glycerin it's also used to make soap....I am sure many of you know this already...but us newbies need this info. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks All!
Anna

16 replies
cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 6:01am
post #2 of 17

My favorite is Toba Garrett's fondant recipe. Others have sworn by Michelle Foster's fondant recipe. I have not tried that one personally but I intend to so i can compare.

I have tried Marshmallow fondant but honestly didn't care for it in both workability and taste. I find it overly sweet and difficult to roll out.

As for glycerin in the recipe - it helps to add some elasticity to the fondant and aids in workability. I have made fondant with and without and prefer fondant recipes that include glycerin. I have bought it at the drug store before after consulting with the pharmacist. The one I bought is the one prescribed to be given orally to infants. Wilton also sells small bottles of it.

Anyway - I vote for trying Toba's fondant.

LuvLyrics Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake-angel

My favorite is Toba Garrett's fondant recipe. Others have sworn by Michelle Foster's fondant recipe. I have not tried that one personally but I intend to so i can compare.

I have tried Marshmallow fondant but honestly didn't care for it in both workability and taste. I find it overly sweet and difficult to roll out.

As for glycerin in the recipe - it helps to add some elasticity to the fondant and aids in workability. I have made fondant with and without and prefer fondant recipes that include glycerin. I have bought it at the drug store before after consulting with the pharmacist. The one I bought is the one prescribed to be given orally to infants. Wilton also sells small bottles of it.

Anyway - I vote for trying Toba's fondant.

Thank you for your input !!! I always here about MMF fondant. What other fordant are there and what's the difference?

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 17

browse the fondant recipes on this site.

MMF is pretty simple:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1949/marshmallow-fondant-mmf

Michele Foster's fondant is really popular:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7432/michele-fosters-updated-fondant

here is Toba Garrett's fondant:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2127/toba-garretts-fondant

I like MMF and Toba's because they're pretty simple. I like the taste of MMF, but not Michele's or Toba's. I think it's the gelatin...smells like dirty socks to me. I think Michele's and Toba's are the same for workability (better than MMF).

When you're first starting out, it's trial and error. Don't give up. I much prefer making my own than driving out and buying or ordering online.

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 7:26pm
post #5 of 17

I've made a few batches of the regular MMF and its good, but a few days ago I tried Rhonda's Ultimate MMF and it isn't as sweet. I think its awesome!
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/3183/rhondas-ultimate-mmf

sugarlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlicious Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 7:53pm
post #6 of 17

I always have used Rhondas Ultimate MMF and love, love, love it! I add 1 tbs of glycerine to every batch I make and I find it very easy to work with and taste isn't bad either icon_biggrin.gif

LuvLyrics Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 2:50am
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

browse the fondant recipes on this site.

MMF is pretty simple:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1949/marshmallow-fondant-mmf

Michele Foster's fondant is really popular:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7432/michele-fosters-updated-fondant

here is Toba Garrett's fondant:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2127/toba-garretts-fondant

I like MMF and Toba's because they're pretty simple. I like the taste of MMF, but not Michele's or Toba's. I think it's the gelatin...smells like dirty socks to me. I think Michele's and Toba's are the same for workability (better than MMF).

When you're first starting out, it's trial and error. Don't give up. I much prefer making my own than driving out and buying or ordering online.

Thanks so much for the links and encouragement ..! icon_smile.gif

LuvLyrics Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 2:53am
post #8 of 17

Defygravity and Sugarlicious ...Thanks, I read good things about her recipe too..

Sugarlicious...Do you add 1 tsp of gliceryn for the amount of the recipe she posted?

Thanks
Anna

sugarlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlicious Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 3:13am
post #9 of 17

No I add 1 tbs to the recipe and I find it makes it have more stretch, very easy to knead and work with, I also use the wilton glycerine in the little bottle, I mix my glycerine with the wet ingredients in a bowl and add it to my marshmellow mixture when I take it out of the microwave when melted before adding to my powdered sugar, which reminds me have to order a new supply I am getting low icon_biggrin.gif

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 3:34am
post #10 of 17

Has anyone made MMF without a microwave?

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 4:34am
post #11 of 17

You could...melt the marshmallow mixture on the stove instead of the microwave.

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:55pm
post #12 of 17

I'm thinking of trying it with a double boiler method. I could coat the bowl that it's in with Crisco.

One of these days I'll have the nerve to try it icon_smile.gif.

LuvLyrics Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 6:43pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarlicious

No I add 1 tbs to the recipe and I find it makes it have more stretch, very easy to knead and work with, I also use the wilton glycerine in the little bottle, I mix my glycerine with the wet ingredients in a bowl and add it to my marshmellow mixture when I take it out of the microwave when melted before adding to my powdered sugar, which reminds me have to order a new supply I am getting low icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks !!!!

jessielou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessielou Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 7:01pm
post #14 of 17

I have tried several of the mmf recipes here and I LOVE Rhondas!!! Very easy to work with and not super sweet like ithers I have tried. Im gonna have to try adding the glycerin though icon_smile.gif

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 7:16pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamom

I'm thinking of trying it with a double boiler method. I could coat the bowl that it's in with Crisco.

One of these days I'll have the nerve to try it icon_smile.gif.

It will be just like melting to make rice krispie squares.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 5:59am
post #16 of 17

I actually love the tast of Toba's fondant but I do use all vanilla flavoring and not the lemon like in the recipe. I do agree that the gelatin stage doesn't smell good but once everything is mixed together I don't notice any residual smell or flavor from the gelatin. I usually have a slightly off white (ivory) color to my homemade fondant because I love using dark pure vanilla for flavor as I find it nicer than the clear vanilla. I do find the clear vanilla flavor improves after 24 hours in the icing. Seems to take time to develope.

LuvLyrics Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:14am
post #17 of 17

Thank you all for your response! i finally got the glycerin, it was really hard to find locally, I will try making Rhonda's and Toba's recipes this weekend, i heard great things about both..

Cake angel, I use pure vanilla also, most of the time I color my fondant anyways !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%