Getting Discouraged

Lounge By Monelove Updated 14 Mar 2010 , 5:10am by saffronica

Monelove Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 2:46am
post #1 of 9

My husband and I are moving to Memphis to be closer to family but it seems we are running into roadblocks at every turn (finding a rental home that will allow us to keep our dogs, me finding a job, trying to figure out how to get our stuff back there without going over our budget and without hurting my father-in-laws feelings (he REALLY wants to drive the u-haul) which is another hurdle in itself.

I pray that the Lord will grant me the patience, understanding and grace to get through this without losing what little sanity I have left.

8 replies
Rachie204 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 2:59am
post #2 of 9

I can only imagine the stress you are going through. I will pray that God gives you a peace that surpasses all understanding and Patience to get through this chapter in your life. I hope everything sorts out soon for you. icon_smile.gif

JaimeAnn Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:03am
post #3 of 9

First off take a deep breath! Things will work themself out.

I have moved quite a few time , most recently just 2 months ago and cross country 4 times. It is very hard. I told my husband after this last move I am NEVER moving again!

Tip #1: Get rid of anything that is not a necessity or something you can't live without. After 2 moves while unpacking at the new location I found myself wondering why I bothered to bring half of the crap I did. Less stuff = smaller truck less time packing.

Tip #2: Get truck rental quotes online and google truck rental codes for discounts. Rentals are cheaper middle of the month and middle of the week.

Tip #3: Ask potential home Landlords that say NO pets if they would make an exeption if you provide an additional pet deposit.

Tip #4: Look up local property management companies, and ask them to send you a list of available properties. (some have online lists)

Tip: #5: Get a relative to send you a few copies of the local news paper where you want to move. {or look for online versions of local papers or classifieds}

I can't really give any advise as to the job hunt or father in law situation, But I wish you the best of luck!

Monelove Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:26am
post #4 of 9

Thank you both for the advice and words of encouragement. I know that both my husband and I need to stay dilligent, positive and have faith that God will not separate us from our four-legged children. We can't have children so our dogs ARE our children and for it to be suggested by property management companies that maybe we should find a home for at least one of our dogs is upsetting.....our dogs already HAVE a home we just need a place to live together.

I've been on the computer and phone all day, my eyes hurt and I'm tired. I think I just need a good nights sleep to renew myself and start again.

Thanks for listening!

dalis4joe Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:38am
post #5 of 9

I will pray for you... God will give you the patience... strength... wisdom... and energy to handle this and when it's all over you will be sitting comfy sipping a cup of coffee thanking God that it's all done...

Texas_Rose Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 4:12am
post #6 of 9

Craigslist has a section for homes and apartments for rent, and you can set search of those is places that allow dogs. That might give you a few places to try that you haven't seen already. Another idea is to get a realtor and let them find you a place...they usually do rentals too and if you have a special situation (like a large dog or two) they can talk to the property owners or management company and try to work something out.

I just moved and I rented a truck from Budget because they were cheaper than Uhaul. I only had to go across town but I would have gone nuts if I had to go any further in it, it was horrible. The truck vibrated so much you couldn't hear anything and it said when I made the reservation that it had a lift gate, but it didn't, and the ramp was broken to the point that we had to spend 30 minutes adjusting it before loading or unloading. Anyhow, if you've been looking at Budget rent a truck, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Another thing about Craigslist, if you can sell the furniture or stuff that you don't really really love and want to move, you'll have a bit more money for the move and you'll lighten your load too.

justducky Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 4:24am
post #7 of 9

Look into the cost of pods. It is not too expensive. They will drop it off, you fill it and they move it. Very nice!

JGMB Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 4:54am
post #8 of 9

Awww, hang in there, hon! Things will look better in the morning after some prayers and a good night's sleep. My family had to move several times, too, and it IS very stressful, for sure. You WILL get through it, though! icon_razz.gif

saffronica Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 5:10am
post #9 of 9
Originally Posted by justducky

Look into the cost of pods. It is not too expensive. They will drop it off, you fill it and they move it. Very nice!

My parents used a company called ABF. Kind of like pods, I guess -- they drop off the truck, you load your stuff, and they drive it for you. It was a lot cheaper than hiring movers.

Edited to add: Here's the website:

Quote by @%username% on %date%