Diamond Impression Mat On Buttercream-Help

Decorating By princesscatt Updated 14 Mar 2010 , 1:22am by MBHazel

princesscatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscatt Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 12:41am
post #1 of 6

Making a cake with all buttercream that requires a diamond impression. So i bought a mat, easy enough right? NO...it's is not working out at all..any tips please!!!

5 replies
aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 12:53am
post #2 of 6

what seems to be the problem? did you let your buttercream crust first?

princesscatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscatt Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 12:56am
post #3 of 6

yes, the mat is stiff.. am i supposed to wrap it around the cake? do i push hard or is it just to make a line for me to trace? I can't get an even pattern.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 1:09am
post #4 of 6

the way ive done it is-
i let me buttercream crust first and make sure the cake is chilled.
then i put a tiny bit of poweder sugar on the mat and use either a hand roller or fondant smoother and with firm pressure but not too hard imprint the mat on the cake.
making sure the pattern can continue around the cake. if the buttercream isnt crusted then it will lift a bit when the mat is removed to go onto the next part of the cake.
hope that makes sense.
maybe others can explain better.
also becareful -sometimes the frosting can ride up a bit to the top of the cake.
good luck let me know how you make out.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 1:17am
post #5 of 6

I do mine very similar to aundrea's, but I dust my mat with pearl dust and as long as your buttercream has crusted you shouldn't have any problems. It doesn't take a lot of pressure to get it to work correctly. Do you have time to do a test run first? If anything sticks to your mat, be sure to clean it before using it as you work your way around the cake. I have several photos of cakes in my photos of cakes using my diamond mat. It has become of one of my favorite techniques and clients love it.

HTH's icon_smile.gif

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 1:22am
post #6 of 6

Oh! Do I feel your pain! I tried that once and was so frustrated I swore I'd never do it again.

You have to kinda roll the mat around the cake, don't start with the edge of the mat or it will dig into the icing (crusted or not) and don't go all the way to the end for the same reason. When you stop you have to match up your lines for the next section.

The biggest problem I had was getting uniform impressions. Some lines were perfect, others too light, or too heavy.

Wishing you the best of luck!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%