Trying New Recipe, Black Velvet - It Looks Revolting, Lol...

Decorating By LeckieAnne Updated 19 Mar 2010 , 11:14pm by BrendaLeigh

LeckieAnne Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 11:26pm
post #1 of 7

Trying new recipe today - and it looks revolting, lol...

Black velvet cake. Based on some help from someone here - I used my red velvet (minus the red) - added extra cocoa powder and an oz. of melted chocolate. Then, since I figure it's supposed to be "black" - I added about a tspn. of black coloring.

I'm making some cupcakes (in the oven now) - but I have to say - it looks revolting! Like mud pie or something. lol Gee - can't wait to try it (obviously I have to taste test it before I can sell one to the lady who asked for it.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

6 replies
BrendaLeigh Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 7

Yes please let us know how it turns out. I am always looking for good velvet recipes. icon_smile.gif Good Luck

JaeRodriguez Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 12:02am
post #3 of 7

oh post a picture! :] what kind of icing does she want on it?

JaeRodriguez Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 12:04am
post #4 of 7

ps- i just googled black velvet and looked at images it doesnt look weird, there was a blue velvet one that did look like moldy cake though icon_razz.gif haha

LeckieAnne Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 4:43am
post #5 of 7

Well - it tasted as terrible as I thought the batter looked! But, it just looked like regular dark chocolate cake - so I didn't bother with a picture.

I thought it tasted terrible - added more chocolate baked another couple of cupcakes - still hated it. Ended up using Paula Deen's black velvet recipe - which tasted good - but I won't make it again. After the cupcake - I baked an 8" teir with the cake strips around the outside, and the outside edges didn't cook. So when the middle was done I took it out, and the edges sunk - they were practically raw. So I baked the rest without the strips, and they came out ok. It was very moist and sunk when I stacked it. I had to cut a couple of wedges out of an extra layer (I had extra batter) to raise one side up after I had filled it and let it settle. Again - tasted good - but won't make it again.

JaeRodriguez Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 3:28pm
post #6 of 7

Wow that sounds like a lot of work! Sorry it tasted bad the first time, that's why I couldn't eat one of the blue or green velvet it just looks like it is nasty! icon_razz.gif lol

BrendaLeigh Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 11:14pm
post #7 of 7

Sorry it didn't work out the way you planned. I guess I will not be doing that one either. Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%