Wire Thingies On Top Of Cake

Decorating By vickster Updated 14 Mar 2010 , 9:19pm by jayne1873

vickster Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 9:09pm
post #1 of 7

I've been trying to look up how to do this only I don't even know what you call them. You see them a lot on Ace of Cakes cakes. They're wires with what looks like fake jewels or stars or whatever coming out of the cake in a sort of fireworks effect. I've been putting fondant stars on small wooden dowels, but they are of course all straight.
I've had several customer requests for this so I guess I should learn how to do it.

6 replies
JaeRodriguez Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 12:26am
post #2 of 7

I've never done this before but I think I recall on a past post that people buy wire and bend them into the curlyque shapes you see on cakes like Duff's. I also know that wire is not food safe so you should make sure you use coffee stirrers or dip them in chocolate so the wire isn't in direct contact with the cake! Sorry I'm not much help!

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 2:02am
post #3 of 7

I've been wondering this same exact thing, and I've found a site that sells all kinds of wires that give different shapes and effects:

http://www.lindyscakes.co.uk/OnlineShop-Wires.htm

You could probably find these types of wires at a local store.

(and yes, they should not go directly into the cake).

JaimeAnn Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 2:21am
post #4 of 7

I have done this quite a few times. I use floral wire inserted into coffe stirrer straws or cocktail straws. Dipping them in chocolate is not quite good enough. the chocolate could crack or leach from the wire into the cake. If you can find Stainless steel wire that is the best way to go because it is food safe.

Other types of wire can contain lead.

mandirombold Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 12:23pm
post #5 of 7

I just buy stainless wire from the craft store. I buy the bags that are already cut into like 1ft sections not the rolls. insert it into a stir stick with royal icing. all most all of my cakes have things sticking out, I love the look.

Bluehue Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 7

http://www.traderscity.com/board/products-1/offers-to-sell-and-export-1/floral-water-tubes-100821/

If you click on this link and scroll down a fraction you will see what we call *florsit picks*

After buying it - wash and rinse extremley well -
I actually use the sterilizing solution that mothers use for sterilizing baby bottles.

If the florsit pick comes with a little rubber lid - disgard that.

They are excellant for using when making an *explosion* as they are called for coming out of the top of your cake.

Once you have made you fondant shapes - insert a gauge 22 wire into the shape - allow to dry for a few days -

When ready - fill your florist pick with fondant

Insert florist pick into cake and cover your cake as you would noramally with fondant or what ever medium you are going to use.

Then gently feel for where the pick is and insert the wires one at a time into it.

Voula - you have a cake with an *explosion* coming out the top.

Buy using one of these you don't have any cake/wire contact and only one item to remove from cake when ready to cut.

If the florist pick is too long for your liking, they are easily cut with kitchen scissors.

Bluehue.

jayne1873 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 9:19pm
post #7 of 7

Do they use stainless steel on Ace of Cakes then cus they put the wire straight into the cakes. I just watched the episode where they made Cherie's (who used to work for Duff) wedding cake. It was beautiful and had wire will jewels hanging from them but they put the wire straight into the cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%