Cake Purse Tips Needed Here!!! Help!

Decorating By ivymeister Updated 14 Mar 2010 , 6:03pm by bobwonderbuns

ivymeister Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 11

HI! I'm looking for tips and tricks from you fellow cake makers/bakers/decorators! My friend wants a purse cake for her birthday. I've been reading, and i have a few weeks to prepare. But I dont know if I should use fondant (never used before) or buttercream. She loves buttercream. So i would like to use it if possible. But if not, no biggie. I just want it nice! So any tips and tricks you could help me with is sooooo greatly appreciated! This newbie would be so happy if you could help! THX!

10 replies
TobiasWilhelm Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 10:24pm
post #2 of 11

What kind of purse? Thats sorta what it all hinges on ...

Tobias

ivymeister Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 8:23am
post #3 of 11

Yeah..i guess i need to pick something first...i just dont know whats good for a first time purse cake..i see all these cool cakes here on CC, but...i dont know if i can do that just yet.

TobiasWilhelm Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 11

I you want to play it safe, I'd make one like this - it is basically a 1/4 sheet cut into thirds and stacked. The shape makes it easy to carve and it covers well if you are going to use fondant.
LL

msulli10 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 11

There is a tutorial on here on how to make a purse cake. It's very easy. I made one and it wasn't hard at all - just a lot of details (see my photos). I was fortunate enough to have the real pocketbook to copy from.

ivymeister Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 5:37pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks..I will be sure to check it out. I've never shaped a cake before. I'm worried that it will start to crumble if its to soft when i start carving it? How does that aspect of it work??

ivymeister Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 5:44pm
post #8 of 11

I really like this one for my first one... http://cakecentral.com/articles/119/how-to-make-a-purse-cake

I'm hoping that buttercream will be okay..just make it a litte more stiff. I was thinking of using that crusting buttercream (faux fondant receipe) I may do a mini version test run and see how it goes. Ahhh...wish me luck.

bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 5:55pm
post #9 of 11
Jeep_girl816 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 5:59pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivymeister

Thanks..I will be sure to check it out. I've never shaped a cake before. I'm worried that it will start to crumble if its to soft when i start carving it? How does that aspect of it work??

Freeze it over night first. this it what they do when they do carved topsy turvys and spiral cakes. It won't be solid like a brick it'll still be soft enough to carve but not so soft it crumbles. Wait until it completely comes to room temp to frost/fondant though, give enough time for the center to thaw too. To freeze, while the cake is still warm, wrap in a couple layers of plastic wrap then in a layer or two of aluminum foil, then I like to place mine in a brown paper sack just as an added precaution (I used my freezer for other things too and I'm overly cautious about odors from like frozen pizzas and stuff!) but not necessary. It won't dry out your cake, if anything if you do it right, it'll add moisture in the end. Hope this helps! good luck and post pics!

bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 6:03pm
post #11 of 11

You can also use these recipes which are excellent for carving -- little crumbs and little breakage:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1972/durable-cake-for-3d-and-wedding-cakes

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6093/durable-cake-for-3d-in-chocolate

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%