Local Fred Meyer Retail Store Offers Higher End Cakes

Decorating By cathyscakes Updated 14 Mar 2010 , 5:41pm by cathyscakes

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 5

I'm just wondering how to compete with their cakes. They have a seperate counter filled with beautiful cakes.Tall 4 layer cakes, with ganache fillings and mousses, covered in chocolate curls,and a gum paste flower on top, all for 16.00 I just stand there in awe of these cakes, they are beautiful. Chocolate dipped strawberries, tortes, cheesecakes,ganache covered brownies, all beautiful, at a low price. I don't know how they do it.
They have their lower end decorated cakes, and I guess I could compete there, but it just amazes me that they could make cakes that beautiful with that many ingredients and make a profit.

4 replies
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 5

Have you ever had one? Do they taste as good as they look? Do they use real chocolate or a "chocolatey" coating?

cathyscakes Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 4:14am
post #3 of 5

I have tried the brownies and they are very good, haven't tried the cake, I could never bring myself to buy a cake when I could make one. But they do look really nice. I bet you are right about the chocolate.

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 12:54pm
post #4 of 5

You said they are $16.00. I will assume that is by the slice or do you mean total. How much would you charge for the same cake?

cathyscakes Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 5

No, that is for the whole cake. I just do cakes for friends and family as gifts. I was just thinking about it, because people keep telling me to sell cakes. In Oregon you can sell cakes out of your home, rules are pretty easy to comply with. I just don't know if I want to do that. I feel like people would not pay my prices, when they see cakes like that selling so cheap, especially when they are really pretty, and look expensive.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%