How To Create A Topsy Turvy Cake Using Dummy Supports!!!

Decorating By nivia91 Updated 15 Mar 2010 , 9:10am by nivia91

nivia91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nivia91 Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone¨

A lot of people have asked me how to create my tupsy turvy cake so I have decided to share it with you all.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1608540

The cakes in my picture are dummies but you can do it with real cakes, what you will need is a lot of support.

This is an explanation for a 3 tiered cake but the same principles go for a 2 tiered cake.

This type of cakes MUST be assembled at the party or venue.

For the dummy supports ( styrofoam wedges) you will need them to be 1" down the size of the cake that goes on top of it (if cake 6"round, support must be 5"round). I think in the USA you can find this styrofoam wedges already cut to size, but if you cant you will have to do it. I recommend using cocktail sticks and a piece of thread to guide you while cuting it down to size.

The highest point of the support must be 2.5" and the lowest 0.5", giving you the tilting effect. Once it is cut down to size, I would recommend to glue two thin cake boards, one on top and the other one on the base, cover them either with ribbons,or sugarpaste. Leave them aside to dry.

Get the cakes ready, with no decoration on them (I usually cover my cake with fondant the night before of the event and let them rest and the fondant become firm because this will help you manage the cakes more easily)
Once at the venue glue each support to its correspondant cakes using silicone (the silicione will only touch the base of your top cake not the cake itself. I do it with silicone because it glues it into position instantly. Once each cake has goto its support, dowel the bottom tier with the right amount of support. Once that is done, take the second tier and put it on top, dowel it again and take one dowel all the way down to the bottom tier (the dowel should go from the lowest part of the cake down to the bottom tier).

Now put the last tier on top and on staright dowel from the top to the bootm, all the way down to the cake drum. Now you are ready to decorate it.

Please if you dont understand some of my points or would like to ask questions, feel free.

Thank you

Nivia

2 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 7:35am
post #2 of 3

Thanks for sharing. icon_biggrin.gif

And it was thoughtful of you to post all the steps in the description of your cake photo. thumbs_up.gif

party.gif You Rule. party.gif

nivia91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nivia91 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 9:10am
post #3 of 3

My pleasure icon_smile.gif

Whatever I can share with everyone, I will because just like me, they dont know everything.

Nivia

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%