Upholstery Question..

Lounge By nickymom Updated 15 Mar 2010 , 2:03pm by dailey

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 4:15am
post #1 of 6

OK so does anyone own faux leather or microfiber fabric furniture? Wondering because we're thinking about getting a new sectional but we're having a really hard time finding something we like.

We saw a sectional we both pretty much liked tonight. The salesman told us it was microfiber fabric but when I looked at the... website at the same exact sectional the description says faux leather, which is fake leather.

I'm just wondering if faux leather is easy to clean, and strong/durable etc. Wondering the same about microfiber fabric.

5 replies
nickymom Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 6

Nobody has these fabrics I guess....ugh....I dreamed about the stupid sectional all night! I stress too much!

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:04am
post #3 of 6

My mother-in-law has a beautiful sofa set that is micro-fiber. (Planning on giving it to us in the next year or so....I cant wait)....anyways the fabric is super comfortable and she has had hers for some time now and they look brand new. She said that they are super easy to keep clean. (hope this helps)

nickymom Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:11am
post #4 of 6

Thank you Rachie204. icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 4:19am
post #5 of 6

I have a microfiber ottoman that is super easy to clean. I just rub it with a damp cloth and let it dry and it comes out perfect.

The fake leather that's shiny or plastic feeling doesn't usually wear well. It ends up cracking in the places where the cushions bend when someone sits. Some stores sell couches that are leather everywhere you sit and then fake leather on the other parts, like the back and sides. The idea of that is that the leather is durable on the sitting parts and then it's cheaper to use the faux leather on the rest. I haven't had one of those. I have a leather sectional right now and it's really durable. I don't think they're a great idea if you have pets but otherwise they're terrific...when it's time to clean the couch I buy a tub of diaper wipes with shea butter and my couch is clean and soft in no time. They're kind of expensive new but if you don't mind a used one sometimes you can get a great deal...I bought mine on craigslist for $100 four years ago and it's so comfortable that I can't imagine ever owning anything but leather.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 2:03pm
post #6 of 6

if it were me, i would stick with real leather since it is for a sectional. its going to be used quite a bit and i found faux leather to not wear as well. now if it was for an accent piece, that would be a different story.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%