I Feel So Terrible .... Should I Delete My Photos?

Decorating By homemaluhia Updated 16 Mar 2010 , 1:08am by superstar

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 7:47am
post #31 of 61

IMHO it's the person that wrote that who is the one who shouldn't be here. Does their work have a copyright. I very much doubt it. Don't give it another thought. Move on and have a great day.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 7:56am
post #32 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by hails

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Sorry that this happened to you. Upload that picture! I'm sure I'm not the only one that wants to see your cake icon_smile.gif . Not that anyone would want to copy any of my cakes, but I would certainly be nothing but flattered if they did.

BTW looked in your photos and your cakes and cookies are just beautiful.

I would copy your cakes they are beautiful thumbs_up.gif

Thank you! You made my day icon_biggrin.gif .

cardicard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cardicard Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 9:59am
post #33 of 61

I have only been on cc for a few months but i always save photos i like for inspiration, why else would you want to save them? There are loads of pretty amazing cakes and to be inspired by them i would have thought was an honour,
I know i would feel great if somebody wanted to even copy my ideas. I really wouldn't worry. The Way to improve is to look at other peoples cakes and try some new things for your self that you have seen in a pic, that is how i am learning, The people on here are really great and so helpful. I live in the uk and this is my favourite cake site and i am addicted to it. I really don't understand why anybody would post their pic if they didn't want to inspire anybody.
So please don't worry i know the majority on here would tell you to ignore them. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

homemaluhia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homemaluhia Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 4:52pm
post #34 of 61

Hi Everyone, thank you for responding and giving encouragement. That's what CC is for too, I guess ... inspiration, encouragement and fun.

I was pm'd by Kathy from CC and she reiterated what you all have said. And that even mentioning where my inspiration came from is a courtesy not a requirement. The CCer who asked if I had permission also pm'd me. She was concerned for her friend's best interests, as her friend tries to have unique designs.

Thank you again!!! You all are terrific!
Teri

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 5:24pm
post #35 of 61

I don't know where that thread disappeared to-- the one about the copyrighted cookies. I think it got a little heated and was deleted! icon_smile.gif I'm with everyone else-- if you don't want someone copying your designs--- don't post them. That's what CC is all about! And I'm so excited it's available to us!!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 5:25pm
post #36 of 61

Her friends Best Interest.....is her friend a member here....then I would tell her to "Get Lost"...You can make any cake you want!! Everyone thinks from time to time there is One special cake they have made that is UNIQUE...only to see that same cake the very next day here on CC...what a joke....

Seriously..Next....

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 5:43pm
post #37 of 61

I hope you are putting your picture back up!

globalgatherings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
globalgatherings Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 5:46pm
post #38 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemoiselle

Shame on whomever PM'd you. Absolute shame! I pity the person who puts their ego before another person's feelings and FREEDOM to LEARN, and whom cannot recognize a compliment when they see one.

Just proves that while someone may be able to create beauty with their fingers, they aren't always familiar with it internally. It just makes me so sad when someone like that tries to dampen our joy and camaraderie.
Put those pictures back up, and stand proud! I agree with everyone else:

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE COPIED, DON'T POST HERE!

Well said thumbs_up.gif I wish I was so eloquent. Wow you said it perfectly icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

kcw551 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcw551 Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 5:48pm
post #39 of 61

Geez if this was the case, I would have to delete just about all my cake photos. I have a very hard time doing a cake without the help of CC and all the great cakes posted on here. I get ideas, helpful hints and inspiration from the decorators on here that I'm just not smart enough to do on my own. I agree with everyone, why post a picture of the cake if you aren't willing to share with others. CC'ers rock big time and I would hate to see one or two comments spoil it for the rest of us. icon_sad.gif

globalgatherings Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 5:58pm
post #40 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeminepink

I don't know where that thread disappeared to-- the one about the copyrighted cookies. I think it got a little heated and was deleted! icon_smile.gif I'm with everyone else-- if you don't want someone copying your designs--- don't post them. That's what CC is all about! And I'm so excited it's available to us!!

Yea that was crazy wasn't it icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 5:59pm
post #41 of 61

If you made the cake, then it's YOUR cake. Put the photo back up.

I, personally, would tell that person that I'd be happy to bend over to make it easier for them to take a flyin' kiss at my big 'ole behind! That comment was totally out of line. I don't recall seeing an election on here where we picked someone to be the Permission Police. icon_mad.gif

globalgatherings Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 6:01pm
post #42 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I, personally, would tell that person that I'd be happy to bend over to make it easier for them to take a flyin' kiss at my big 'ole behind! That comment was totally out of line. I don't recall seeing an election on here where we picked someone to be the Permission Police. icon_mad.gif

Where were you for the cookie thread, we needed you thumbs_up.gif

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 6:22pm
post #43 of 61

Yes, please re-post your photo!

We all gaze at the cakes, cookies and cupcakes in the galleries, oh and ah, save some to favorites and enjoy all the inspiration. Do you realize how many thousands of photos are on this site? It's quite possible that one could bake and decorate a cake and have no idea that it closely resembles another cake on here. I mean how many versions of buttercream roses or fondant circles can there be??? The one that PM'd you was rediculous!

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 6:35pm
post #44 of 61

I agree with the above posts, the person that made that comment to you was being rude. If anyone ever "copied" one of my cakes I would be so flattered, and I certainly wouldn't expect them to ask permission first. I do think it's nice to mention who you were inspired by or just say that you were inspired by CC. IMO, there's not many "original" cake designs anyway.
Post your cake picture!

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 6:41pm
post #45 of 61

JCE62108 You are right...
I personally have never had a bad experience here... and furthermore... I wouldn't mind if anyone used a picture I post to inspire them to make a cake... like you said we post to share not to show off... it's not a vendor site where we are buying cakes from one another...
I love my CC family!

belovedcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
belovedcakes Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 6:41pm
post #46 of 61

I am so glad to see this on discussion on here. I recently saw a post on someone's cake that said something to the effect of "Here's my cake. It's simple. BUT it is MY design" and I laughed out loud at the computer because it was so basic... clearly inspired from someone else's cake and many that I've seen on CC! The spectalcle about what is/ is not your design is outrageous! Obviously the craftsmanship on each cake is unique.
IF YOU DO NOT WANT IT COPIED OR TRIED BY OTHERS...DO NOT POST IT!!! What would be the piont? We all live in different areas and there is enough piece of the cake for us all. You did nothing wrong. Enjoy your day and God bless!

homemaluhia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homemaluhia Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 6:47pm
post #47 of 61

Again, thank you for encouraging words!!!

It was a cookie design that I "copied" but I don't think I'll re-post it. I made it last year for Japanese Boys' Day. So for the upcoming Boys' Day, I'm already "dreaming" of what I can make for my son and nephews. Which, as you all know, is half of the fun. (I only made 6 of that cookie design for these 4 special boys.)

globalgatherings Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 8:14pm
post #48 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by homemaluhia

It was a cookie design that I "copied" but I don't think I'll re-post it. I made it last year for Japanese Boys' Day. So for the upcoming Boys' Day, I'm already "dreaming" of what I can make for my son and nephews. Which, as you all know, is half of the fun. (I only made 6 of that cookie design for these 4 special boys.)

Yea, I can understand why you wouldn't re-post, because if it is who I think it is, she will probably sue you since she has all of HER ( haha ) designs copyrighted and she wants us all over the world to ask for her permission before we attempt to make a cookie. I was going to take down all my photos too, til I'll realized hey, I'm really not that talented, the judge would say, lady your sloppy cookies aren't even close to her designs icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 8:30pm
post #49 of 61

In this case I would like to thank everyone who has ever posted a cake on this site that I may have gotten inspiration from!!!! icon_cool.gif

globalgatherings Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 8:31pm
post #50 of 61

As I stated on my cookie thread post, " I really love this site too, but if someone is going to sue me because my cookie may look similar to theirs, I really don't want to post my photos anymore. I mean really, I'm too old to go to COOKIE JAIL icon_cry.gif

"cookie jail" was a post from someone else, but I just had to use it cuz it's way too funny not to share that one icon_lol.gif

Galler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Galler Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 8:45pm
post #51 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnagardner

In this case I would like to thank everyone who has ever posted a cake on this site that I may have gotten inspiration from!!!! icon_cool.gif

Thanks Donna! I would like to do the same. Thank you!

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 8:50pm
post #52 of 61
Quote:

I will be pm'ing you for ideas about Boy's Day as well. We adopted our little son, who is also Japanese when my husband was stationed at Schofield. I only have the little fish windsock and a little doll I picked up at the big store next to Macy's at Ala Moana (name escapes me-it's been 3 years since we left icon_sad.gif ).
You do wonderful work & don't feel bad. (mod edited.) I am glad CC is here for all of us to take inspiration from.

jill27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jill27 Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 9:13pm
post #53 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalgatherings

Quote:

Yea, I can understand why you wouldn't re-post, because if it is who I think it is, she will probably sue you since she has all of HER ( haha ) designs copyrighted and she wants us all over the world to ask for her permission before we attempt to make a cookie. I was going to take down all my photos too, til I'll realized hey, I'm really not that talented, the judge would say, lady your sloppy cookies aren't even close to her designs icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

you *really* think they would sue?? i don't believe that for a second. i believe its a scare tactic. furthermore, it was already determined in another post that the laws regarding copyrighting a cookie is vague. there would have to be a lot of money spent on trying to get someone to remove, say a heart with swirls, from their website. and then not even win the silly case...

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 9:14pm
post #54 of 61

I missed the cookie copyright thread. But I just wanted to say to the OP that your work is great.

Deusha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deusha Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 9:16pm
post #55 of 61

I make cakes in my spare time. My full time job is in the furniture industry. It does not matter how many copyrights a company has on a piece of furniture as long as 1 small thing is changed the copyright is null and void against the company knocking off the piece. I don't see how a cake or cookie could be any different.

globalgatherings Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 9:34pm
post #56 of 61

Jill27, I think you're right, but at my age, I just don't want the hassle. Ten years ago I would have said " Bring it on" thumbs_up.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 9:59pm
post #57 of 61

I think that is just good enough a complement to say who was the person's cake
who inspired you. I don't think it's necessary to be asking the person if you
can copy the cake. The only bad thing would be saying that is your original design and that's another completely different subject.

I think you can post it and be proud..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 2:09am
post #58 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalgatherings

"cookie jail" was a post from someone else, but I just had to use it cuz it's way too funny not to share that one icon_lol.gif

Did you ask "permission" before you used it?? icon_lol.gif

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 5:29am
post #59 of 61

think I agree with everyone and am being redundant, but as far as I understand you can't post someone elses pic w/o permission, you can however post a pic of your cake that is a replica of someone elses. Giving credit for your inspiration due to their work is common practice, but it is not wrong to copy someone's work, unless they copyrighted their cake/design/work...which is HIGHLY unlikely!

bakermom3107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermom3107 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 2:39am
post #60 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Oh, I love your comments!! I wish I could tell it how it is like you! That will have to be one of my goals icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%