What If A Bride Wants?

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 13 Mar 2010 , 2:59am by catlharper

cakebaker1957 Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 1:52am
post #1 of 3

I am doing a cake for an older bride, She wants enough cake for 25-30 people. She also wants to save her top. Now here is the problem for me. I told her a 10in cake would serve 38 per the Wilton chart, She is fine with that, But she want to use a pedestal cake plate stand, That she bought, its chyrstal. I told her it needs to be big enough for the cake and then have enough room so that she can cut the cake. Im not crazy about this ideal, Oh yeah , she wants the top layer a 6in to be up on columns, about 4in high, Is this going to work, I have never been asked to do this before, Im meeting with her Monday to look at this cake plate, Whats your info for me , Would you use hers or not??? Need Help ASAP on this. Will it turn over when they cut the cake?? icon_cry.gif
Thanks all,

2 replies
JCE62108 Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 2:27am
post #2 of 3

That's why you put in the contract "We are not responsible for any damage to the cake after setup is complete." icon_smile.gif Are you putting the cake DIRECTLY on the stand, or are you putting it on a cake board first? If it were me, I wouldnt take the stand into my possesion at all. Id put the cake on a small board, maybe an inch bigger than the cake, just enough to fit the border and make it look like its resting on the stand itself. That way the whole stand thing isnt your deal at all. You deliver it, and what happens to it after that, happens.

catlharper Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 2:59am
post #3 of 3

I collect cake stands and several of them are pedestal type. I have put a 10 inch with a stacked 6 inch on top with no issues. For colums to be used I would make sure that the height is not too tall...maybe 3 inches between tiers...to make sure the cake did not topple. I would also set up on the stand at the place where it will be displayed and explain that the cake needs to be fully disassembled before cutting to avoid tipping. And, yes, always put a disclaimer when using someone elses stand. As long as her stand is 12 inches then there should be no problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%