Ahhh! My Cake Layer Are Sliding . . . Help!

Decorating By MGCmom Updated 13 Mar 2010 , 2:07pm by MGCmom

MGCmom  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MGCmom Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 1:25am
post #1 of 5

Okay so I finished the crumb coat on my bottom square tier and was putting it in the fridge and the top 3 layers started sliding off. I am thinking I may have put too much filling in it, but not sure. What do I do? How can I fix the problem? Any advice?? I need to finish it for tomorrow. It is 3 tiers tall. icon_sad.gif

4 replies
 prterrell  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 1:34am
post #2 of 5

How much filling did you use? Never use more than 1/4 inch (0.635 cm). Did you use a good thick icing dam? You might have to disassemble that tier, remove some of the filling, re-stack and re-ice.

MGCmom Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 1:50am
post #3 of 5

Yeah, I think that is my problem. That was the first layer I filled, so I may have been a little too filling happy. Plus my dam probably wasn't big enough. So if I disassemble, I should probably redo the dam better as well. This day just keeps getting better. I guess that is what you get when you try to make a three tiered cake for the first time with 3 kids running/crawling around, under the age of 4. Thanks for your help!

ivymeister  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivymeister Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 2:38am
post #4 of 5

I had this problem to last week!! I figured out that my shortening was not a high ratio. I bought some the other day and made another batch of it...wow..what a difference!!! Definetly recommend high ratio shortening!! I'm assuming you put the supports in your cake to hold it up? very important!

MGCmom Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for all the help! I finished the cake late last night. I think my problem was a little bit of everything. Too much filling, not enough shortening in my buttercream (it soften up quick). I disassembled the cake and redid the filling, dam and icing(although it wasn't pretty) and it worked. I put lots of support in, including one through all the tiers. Now the trick is delivering it. I can't lift it, it is too heavy. Anyways! Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%