Icing Help

Decorating By toleshed Updated 14 Mar 2010 , 4:00pm by toleshed

toleshed Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 12:50am
post #1 of 10

So I took my first ever Basic Cake Decorating class on wednesday night. I had to bring a cake and a bowl of icing with me. I made chocolate buttercream. So the instructor proceeded to show us how to decorate the sides of the cake with a #22 star tip. By the time I was 1/4 of the way around the cake, the icing was sliding right off the cake. It was quite warm in the room. And we figured the heat from my hands was also a factor in warming the icing too much. Are there any ideas or suggestions on this?
Thanks

9 replies
prterrell Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 1:01am
post #2 of 10

What exact recipe were you using?

toleshed Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 2:06am
post #3 of 10

This is what I used:

Ingredients:
6 tablespoons butter, softened
Cocoa powder, see below
2 2/3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Turn this recipe into a puzzle! [click]

Directions:

For light chocolate frosting use 1/3 cup cocoa powder For medium chocolate frosting use 1/2 cup cocoa powder for dark chocolate frosting use 3/4 cup cocoa powder

In mixer bowl cream the butter. Add the cocoa and powdered sugar alternately with milk. Beat to spreading consistency adding more milk if needed. Blend in vanilla.

This recipe from CDKitchen for Buttercream Frosting serves/makes 3.25 cups

prterrell Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 10

Okay, the problem is that recipe is designed for frosting but not for decorating. I'd suggest you stick w/ the Wilton recipes for your class and while you are learning. HTH

toleshed Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 11:22am
post #5 of 10

thatnks so much. Thats a big help

Mug-a-Bug Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 2:35pm
post #6 of 10

Did you do a crumbcoat? My icing never sticks right if I don't do a crumbcoat first. icon_smile.gif

Cake-makerz Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 2:38pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mug-a-Bug

Did you do a crumbcoat? My icing never sticks right if I don't do a crumbcoat first. icon_smile.gif

What is crumbcoat????

Mug-a-Bug Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:10pm
post #8 of 10

I suspected you would ask that icon_biggrin.gif (This is why the wilton classes suck so much!) Ice your cakes with a very thin layer. Most of us let that sit overnight to let the cake settle. I place a tile on top to make sure it settles completely and I don't get any shifting or bulging. Then when you go to ice your cake (with stars or whatever) the icing sticks much better. Any time I ever tried to ice without a crumbcoat my icing just peels right off.

Cake-makerz Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:21pm
post #9 of 10

Ok
Thanks ! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

toleshed Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 4:00pm
post #10 of 10

I can't speak for Cake-makerz, but I'm not taking the Wilton Classes. I'm just doing a very basic decorating course at our local Career Development Center.
Thanks so much for your help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%