Good Sleeved Cake Fillings, Not Henry And Henry

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 10 Aug 2015 , 9:26pm by Jessmabee

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 12:14am
post #1 of 25

Im looking for a REALLY good strawberry filling or strawberry glaze. I actually dont like most of the Henry and Henry brand stuff, and it seems that's all I can find. The only refund Ive ever had to give was because the customer said the filling "tasted like rotten fruit"...and honestly I thought it was kind of gross and chemical. My hubby doesnt care for it either.

I received some samples from Amoretti several months ago and they sent me some strawberry and raspberry swirl. I have to say, that stuff was gooood. I wonder if that can be used as cake fillings? Anyone know? I wonder if its shelf stable.

24 replies
blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 12:42am
post #2 of 25

I haven't seen any other sleeves besides H&H but you could make your own using these purees or concentrates. http://www.perfectpuree.com/index.php/Table/Products/

HTH

JCE62108 Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 2:35am
post #3 of 25

Ive asked this question before and never really got a response. It seems like H&H must be monopolizing the cake filling industry. icon_razz.gif Thank you for your suggestion, but my problem isnt making fillings. I can make fillings from scratch, I dont have a problem with that. However sleeved fillings are a huge timesaver, plus they dont have to be refridgerated, and they last a million years in the fridge. I love the convenience...I just wished I could find some that tasted GREAT.

I know its out there, I just have to find it. I worked for a grocery store that had and AWESOME raspberry filling. Actually, all their fillings were really good. But I dont know where they got them because the containers and boxes just had the store name on it. I kind of doubt a grocery store chain made their own fillings in their warehouse. I wish I could find something of that quality. No chemical taste, just yummy.

I just hate doing a blind search on the internet, and ordering a bunch of stuff without knowing if its good or not. That is why Im asking you guys. Ive got thousands of experienced professionals at my fingertips...someone has to have an answer for me. I dont want to loose another customer to fillings. If I cant find it, of course I will be making my own....as I am now until I can find what I need. The more business I get, the more I have to look for ways to save time and increase the quality of my product.

iannelli66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iannelli66 Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 25

I love love love Redi-pak Strawberry Pastry Filling.. I have used it in many cake orders and gotten rave reviews.. It tastes like fresh strawberries.. The SKU number on it is 352020. Hope this helps. icon_biggrin.gif

iannelli66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iannelli66 Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 11:04pm
post #5 of 25

So sorry, just realized that Redi-Pak is by Henry and Henry.. I had no idea. Back to the drawing board. thumbsdown.gif

JCE62108 Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 11:13pm
post #6 of 25

Maybe its just me. Maybe Im just the only one that doesnt like it. lol. I emailed Amoretti yesterday to see if their swirls can be used as cake fillings and if they are shelf stable. I think those tasted awesome, so we'll see. Maybe Monday Ill get an email or a call from them.

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 11:25pm
post #7 of 25

have you tried the ck products pastry filings? IThey're not my favorite but my husband loves the bavarian cream.

JCE62108 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 12:46am
post #8 of 25

I havent tried it. Ill have to look for those. Thanks. icon_smile.gif

JCE62108 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 7:17pm
post #9 of 25

I got a call from Amoretti today. The nice young lady told me that the swirls are completly shelf stable, and once opened can stay at room temp for a year! Crazy.

The smallest container is 2lbs and costs $30.00, with about $8.00 shipping. CRAZY expensive, but I decided to order two tubs, one raspberry and one strawberry, and see how my customers like it. She suggested I charge a little more for these "gourmet" fruit fillings, so I think I will. Well, Ill have to really.

I think 2lbs is about the same as a sleeve, right? Wow. $4 a sleeve to $30 is a big jump. We'll see.

She is sending me some more swirl samples too. Some coconut, and a different kind of raspberry. Probably some other stuff too. Im excited! I wonder how far I can stretch this Amoretti stuff.......I wonder if I mix it with the cheap H&H if that will improve the flavor of it. Hmm.

Oh well I just wanted to share in case anyone was interested in the Amoretti swirls for fillings. BTW she said they work fine as fillings and people use them that way all the time. Several people order it specifically for that, although I think its main purpose is to swirl in cake batter or cheesecake. The strawberry or raspberry mixed in buttercream is pretty good too. icon_smile.gif

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 7:28pm
post #10 of 25

Dawn Foods also makes sleeve fillings. This is probably what the grocery chain used. Dawn Foods sells to most large bakerys and chain stores.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 7:36pm
post #11 of 25

Yes..I was also going to say Dawn foods..I order alot of my stuff from them and it is always good quality and taste.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 7:42pm
post #12 of 25

my local party store orders from CK and I like their fillings, I'm not crazy about the strawberry but my customers love it, the raspberry is amazing and i love the bavarian ream and lemon as well

ambrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ambrat Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 7:56pm
post #13 of 25

I've only ever used CK filling sleeves -never had a complaint, only rave reviews. I personally love the flavors as well.

JCE62108 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 8:58pm
post #14 of 25

Where do you buy your CK fillings from? Ive never tried those out before. Im looking at the Daw Foods website now. Seems like the smallest is a 22 lb bucket. lol. Im not exactly a production type bakery. I dont know that that would be something I could do. I wouldnt even have room for all those huge buckets.

JCE62108 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 9:01pm
post #15 of 25

For those of you who order from Dawn Foods, which line of fillings do you order from? It looks like they have several varieties. Id be more likely to order a case of sleeves rather than a tub. I like the sleeves because it seems like it stays more sanitary.

ambrat Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 9:41pm
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

Where do you buy your CK fillings from? Ive never tried those out before.

I get them from their retail store, but they can be ordered online as well.

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/SearchResults.aspx

JCE62108 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 9:58pm
post #17 of 25

OH I thought those were the H&H fillings. Ill check that out. I may end up ordering some from there next. Thank you. icon_smile.gif

Im starting to rethink this whole amoretti thing. That is just so much money. That's like $70 for two sleeves of filling. Ouch. I dont know if people would even want to pay that much more just for a better filling. Thanks so much for your help guys. It is much appreciated.

ambrat Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 12:02am
post #18 of 25

Hmm, I never gave it much thought - since they do make so much of their own stuff I assumed they made those too. But, we know was assuming does..eek! icon_smile.gif I do however know the staff is very awesome and a quick call would let you know for sure; they've always given me such great service.

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 12:33am
post #19 of 25

The case of sleeves from dawn food, not the buckets.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:20pm
post #20 of 25

the sleeve fillings I get are imprinted with a big CK ...I've never seen anything on them that says H&H but I have had some H&H labelled stuff from another cake place and the raspberry was TERRIBLE!! Well, it's not that it was THAT bad on its own....but compared to what I was used to using (the CK) it was aweful!! It tasted like the plastic sleeve or something and not very fruity.....almost like overly ripened mushed frozen fruit or something. bleck! The CK raspberry filling is amazing (and the strawb, lemon, and bav. cream)...it's fresh and fruity, just delicious!

KarmaStew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarmaStew Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:51pm
post #21 of 25

EEEEK!

An opened package of something (supposedly) edible have a shelf life of a year. Opened. That is not right, man. Not only is that not right.... it's downright gross.

Good sleeve filling is kind of an oxymoron, anyway.

am.coffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
am.coffey Posted 1 Jul 2015 , 7:57pm
post #22 of 25

Quote by @ttehan4 on 15 Mar 2010 , 7:28pm

Dawn Foods also makes sleeve fillings. This is probably what the grocery chain used. Dawn Foods sells to most large bakerys and chain stores.

I worked for Haggen in Northwest Washington for years and a cake decorator. Dawn Foods and Puratos suppliers were the two they used most.

asascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asascakes Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 3:05am
post #23 of 25

o.O    Wouldn't CK fillings be H&H??? CK fillings are Redi-Pak.....Redi Pak is Henry and Henry.

https://www.ckproducts.com/files/76-4152.pdf

TheresaCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheresaCarol Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 7:05pm
post #24 of 25

Yes, CK fillings are Henry and Henry - all of them.  

Jessmabee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessmabee Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 9:26pm
post #25 of 25

Where I work we typically make everything from scratch with the exception of Hero red raspberry bakery jam that we use in linzer cookies, french macarons and as a cake filling when necessary. Its a nice thick and sticky jam so the cookies don't slide apart; and of course its delicious!  I've never tried the strawberry but it might be something to look into. http://hero-foodservice.com/products/bakery-jams-marmalades/ I'm also not sure where you can purchase it but I'm sure you can find it somewhere online.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%