I Got Another Cake!

Decorating By Bella214 Updated 13 Mar 2010 , 12:51am by robyndmy

Bella214 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 11:58pm
post #1 of 3

I am so surprised. I keep thinking that I just don't have the experience and still have a lot to learn but people keep asking me for cakes!

4 cakes so far, all coming from one cake that I did nearly free of charge since payment only paid for my supplies! And, IMO, it wasn't even a very attractive cake. Though they REALLY loved the cake itself.

Geesh, should I work out some kind of payment thing? I have no clue what to charge for cakes. i just don't have a lot of experience and I hate to charge people a bunch when my skills are, well, mediocre at best.

2 replies
JCE62108 Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 12:28am
post #2 of 3

Your probably not giving yourself enough credit! If all those people liked it so much, then you have skills.

Figure out what all of your ingrediants and supplies cost. That will help. When I started and wasnt sure about what to charge, I saved all my receipts and calculated what buttercream costs, cake, and fondant, fillings, etc... for each batch. That really helped when I knew for sure what I was spending. Think about how many hours it takes you and dont give yourself less than $10/hour. I didnt even make that when I worked at a grocery store making cakes professionally! Sad. But, I think its a good starting point. Now I work at $20/hour for myself. My bottom line for cake pricing is $3.50/serving for a buttercream frosted cake. Maybe that will give you a ballpark of what you should charge.

robyndmy Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 12:51am
post #3 of 3

Yay for you!

Agreed, definitely work out a price list so that you're not undercutting yourself. Or at least figure out what all of your ingredients cost per recipe, etc. There's lots of great tips and charts in the Cake Decorating Business forum, including some VERY detailed pricing matrices.

A word of caution too though: many people on here will warn against selling your cakes without being a licensed kitchen. Think of the possible scenario of the customer's sister's cousin's friend who is a lawyer and wasn't happy with your cake. Very rare, but you never know. Personally, because of the legalities, I just sell to people I know directly. It definitely still has risks, but at least I get to make cakes!

Ugh, that turned into a downer post, I'm sorry! Back to yay for you, and congrats on making cakes that other people are enjoying and requesting more of!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%