Do I Use An Exacto Knife For Cutting Fondant?

Decorating By kater82 Updated 13 Mar 2010 , 9:16pm by robyndmy

kater82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kater82 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 11:31pm
post #1 of 12

If I wanted to cut a shape out of fondant, say an Elmo... would I use an exacto knife for a clean cut? what do you use?

11 replies
Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 12

Yes you can use an exacto knife. To get your good clean cuts always make sure you have a good, sharp blade. It also helps to leave the fondant sit for about 10 -15 minutes to firm up a little before cutting.

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 12

Ya an exacto knife works great. When I can't find it though, I'll also just use a small paring knife.

Price Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 11:55pm
post #4 of 12

I forgot to mention. I have 2 regular exacto knives, but I also bought 1 that fits on my finger. I'll try to attach a picture. This type is really nice. It gives me lots of control for cutting small pieces.

[/img]
LL

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 12:15am
post #5 of 12

Hey price I have that exact same one,

Question to yah !!!

Have you tried to replace the blade? Mines is loose no matter how much I tighten its always loose , Im gonna have to get another one. I like that one alot I feel it gives me more control.

Price Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 12:23am
post #6 of 12

No, I haven't changed the blade in it yet. Right now mine is nice and tight, I hope I don't have a problem when I change the blade, because it's a really handy little tool!

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 12:32am
post #7 of 12

hoooow cool!!! i want one, thanks for posting!

kater82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kater82 Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:36am
post #8 of 12

craft knife.... genius! thanks for the ideas and the reply's!

Price Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 5:26pm
post #9 of 12

You're very welcome. Make sure to let us know when you make your cake and post the picture!

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 8:05pm
post #10 of 12

Lorraine gave a tip that is great...

you know how you might get the feathering effect when cutting with the exacto knofe? well... dip in in hot water (even a paring knife) and wipe slightly... the heat melts the line u r cutting and u get a shap crisp cut....

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 9:02pm
post #11 of 12

i've seen cake dec. books where they say they use disposable scalpels! I haven't had any luck finding them cheaply though I'd love to go that route, I hate having to change blades and also when I misplace my exacto knife OR the extra blades and it's 2 am!!! lol

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 9:16pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

Lorraine gave a tip that is great...

you know how you might get the feathering effect when cutting with the exacto knofe? well... dip in in hot water (even a paring knife) and wipe slightly... the heat melts the line u r cutting and u get a shap crisp cut....

Thanks for passing on the tip! I always struggle with that, so I have to give this a try. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%