Random...are You Better At Cakes Or Cupcakes??

Decorating By tavyheather Updated 14 Mar 2010 , 6:02am by Texas_Rose

tavyheather Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 13

I am starting to seriously doubt my ability in cupcakes...I find the small canvas tedious and the baking process inconsistent and annoying. I can create cakes in my head all day but cupcake ideas are tough...

Are you particularly better with one or the other? Does anyone ONLY do one or the other? I'm almost thinking if I do this professionally that I would ONLY do cakes, or at least try to mostly do them...

12 replies
Caths_Cakes Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 13

i only do cakes, im the same as you, i find working on such a small scale alot harder to pull off and make beautiful, i see some dazzling cupcakes on here and after several failed attempts, mine look like id made them with my feet pmsl!

tavyheather Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caths_Cakes

i only do cakes, im the same as you, i find working on such a small scale alot harder to pull off and make beautiful, i see some dazzling cupcakes on here and after several failed attempts, mine look like id made them with my feet pmsl!

HAhahahaha nice. I have these cute ideas but its just exhausting to execute so many small-scale little guys...I STILL have little mini fondant ice-cream cones sitting on the counter... I had every intention of using them for Valentines Day cupcakes, but did one and got bored...I'm just not good at cupcakes. Think I'll just accept it and move on...

Glad you feel the same!!

khoudek Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 11:54pm
post #4 of 13

I agree. Cupcakes are labor intense. While I've seen some absolutely awesome ones, my first thought was more along the line of " OMG, I'm so glad I didn't have to do those".

Lita829 Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 12:10am
post #5 of 13

I'm comfortable/proficient baking both. I tend to do more cuppies because I give many away to an organization. I'm guess I'm in the minority in that I like making and decorating cuppies. I really haven't had many opportunites to make many large cakes since joining CC to practice the craft. Hopefully, that will change.

catlharper Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:16am
post #6 of 13

Hands down...cakes. Cupcakes have so little cake that anything you do with frosting/fondant can tend to overwhelm them...top that off, due to the paper covering I believe, cupcakes tend to dry out faster so I'm not that thrilled with the cake quality once the client actually tastes it. Plus the fact that I consider myself more of an artist than a baker...I think I just need the larger canvas! LOL!

Elcee Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 2:01pm
post #7 of 13

Not that I am that great at either one but I'm probably better at cakes. I haven't done too many cupcakes but I have really enjoyed the ones I have done. I'd like to venture more into the cupcake world.

kizrash Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 2:17pm
post #8 of 13

I love doing both. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Ignore the date on the photo's, forgot to reset it after putting new batteries in. Hahaha....
Made them last Saturday.
LL
LL

chassidyg Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 2:20pm
post #9 of 13

I cant do cakes very well, but I love doing cupcakes, not neccesiarily for the designs, but the for the flavors!!

tavyheather Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 4:51am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassidyg

I cant do cakes very well, but I love doing cupcakes, not neccesiarily for the designs, but the for the flavors!!

hmm...curious as to what you're saying.. icon_smile.gif

tesso Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 4:59am
post #11 of 13

my motto is DEATH to cupcakes. icon_lol.gif I HATE TO MAKE THEM !!! HATE HATE HATE... i would rather do 15 wedding cakes in one weekend then make a single batch of cupcakes... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

hats off to those who have the patience for cupcakes..

heavenlys Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 5:56am
post #12 of 13

we have been on a cupcake caze at the bakery lately. We are making a new flavor every day.
this week:
Fluffernutters
chocolate covered banana
lemon cream cheese
kahlua fudge w/ white chocolate filling
chocolate with peanut butter filling
champagne with vanilla cream filling

I am not a huge fan of a design on a cupcake. We get more into the dessert cupcakes.

Texas_Rose Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 6:02am
post #13 of 13

I could make cupcakes in my sleep. I don't usually try to do anything elaborate on them. They get a tip 1M swirl and then a fondant flower or a molded chocolate decor on top of the swirl.

If you ever have to do a lot, it's easier to put them in the box first and then pipe the swirls on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%