Do Customers Actually Eat The Fondont On Covered Cookies?

Baking By PinkChateau Updated 17 Mar 2010 , 1:17am by lngo

PinkChateau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkChateau Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 35

I'm curious, after reading and hearing so much about people not liking the taste of fondont on cakes and peeling it off, do customers usually eat fondont decorated cookies? Thanks for your opinions.

34 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 9:57pm
post #2 of 35

Yes, they do eat it. It's soft and tastes better than royal. icon_lol.gif Keeps the cookies softer/moister, too.

As for cakes, if applied thinly and over a good coating of buttercream, many will eat the fondant if it's a good quality product like Satin Ice, FondX, Massa, Choco Pan, etc.

I advise anyone not familiar with fondant on cakes to eat the cake and icing out from under it and to then eat the fondant as though it's a piece of tootsie roll or other chewy candy. This works very well and I see the fondant get consumed pretty regularly.

Rae

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 10:02pm
post #3 of 35

I'm not sure most people even realize it's fondant on my cookies. Everyone eats them though and I've never had anyone complain about the fondant. The only thing I usually hear is that the cookies are a little rich, but I think that's because of the flavorings I use.

cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 35

Yes!!! But I use MMF-make the marshmallow fondant-not the gross Wilton fondant. It is basically marshmallows and sugar and then some extract. Adds to the cookie taste and keeps the cookie longer in my opinion.

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 12:20am
post #5 of 35

I also was going to say it depends on whether or not its Wilton fondant or your own homemade. I use Michele Foster's fondant. Delicious.

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 12:30am
post #6 of 35

super thin Satin Ice = yummmm
Thick fondant = yuck

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 12:42am
post #7 of 35

I'll have to try the satin ice. I've heard its good

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 12:53am
post #8 of 35

I've done sugar cookies with homemade MMF too, and they were a huge hit. I also found that it did keep the cookies a bit softer too, yum!

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 1:03am
post #9 of 35

From the feedback I've gotten regarding cakes and fondant, people don't expect their cake to be 'chewy' so they have a hard time combining fondant with cake. As for cookies, well you sort of expect for them to be somewhat chewy.

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 1:19am
post #10 of 35

Just taking a break from putting MMF on top of No Fail Sugar Cookies (NFSC) and I am having a hard time not eating any!

They are a hit with my family, friends and children's classmates!

Speaking of tootsie rolls...Pink Chateau...try making MMF substituting 1/4 - 1/2 c of cocoa for the same amount of icing sugar! That tastes like tootsie roll!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 1:31am
post #11 of 35

I don't like MMF (or any fondant) on cake, I use it for decorating purposes only.
On sugar cookies however, I love it!! I was really surprised by this.

I like a thick cookie, with a thin layer of fondant.

(I've experimented with adding white chocolate, soo good, but I haven't perfected a recipe yet...and I plan to try adding butter (not butter flavoring) right in with the MM's, since I do it with Crisco for cakes and it works so well).

Texas_Rose Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 2:17am
post #12 of 35

I use Lorann's butter rum flavoring in the MMF, and buttery sweet dough emulsion in the dough and it's a great combination. I've also been trying different flavors...the last cookies I made were pina colada MMF with pineapple cookies and they were really good too.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 2:35am
post #13 of 35

I eat my mmf covered cookies all the time, it's yummy!

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:01am
post #14 of 35

Texas_Rose thanks so much for sharing you use Lorann oils. I was just wondering about this. I have been wanting to try adding the oil...but was unsure how much to put in. Got any tips? I use the MMF/RBC mix recipe. It calls for a whole bag of marshmellows.

PinkChateau - I use MMF/RBC mix. I used to just use RBC...but it was a bit difficult to work with, and appeared to be greasy. I have not tried a regular fondant recipe...but I've heard Satin Ice is fabulous & Michelle Fosters Fondant recipe. You should give MMF a whirl. It's easy to make & truly tastes good. I always explain that the Fondant Alternative is similar to the icing on a hostess cupcake. Of course it tastes better, but that way they have a reference point of something positive. Instead of thinking about what they've "always heard" about regular fondant.

icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:08am
post #15 of 35

The amount of flavoring to use depends on the flavor that you're using. When I make butter rum MMF, I use a whole little bottle (those really tiny ones that come in the 2pk at Hobby Lobby), but other flavors are stronger and don't need as much sometimes, especially mint. The MMF recipe I use has 1lb marshmallows and 2lb powdered sugar. If I use a regular extract, like clear vanilla, I replace 1 tablespoon of water in the recipe with extract, added after I microwave the marshmallows and before I add the powdered sugar.

EvMarie Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:15am
post #16 of 35

Thanks Texas_Rose! You Rock!

PinkChateau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkChateau Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 11:15am
post #17 of 35

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR RESPONSES. thumbs_up.gif

sweetcreationsbykimberly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcreationsbykimberly Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 2:25pm
post #18 of 35

I am interested in trying this MMF. Can someone direct me to some recipes or share yours? icon_biggrin.gif And I have some questions
After you lay the MMF on, can you do decorating with RI? How do you do yours?
As far as coloring the MMF, I assume you use gel food coloring?
What about if you have froze some cookies undecorated how then would you apply the MMF to them?
I have about 300 to do for Easter and I am thinking the MMF might be faster. I am doing bunny heads and Eggs. So I was thinking I can apply the MMF and then add the rest with RI? I have already started making the cookies. I have about 165 in the freezer. Thanks for in info you can offer. icon_lol.gif

pastryjen Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:12pm
post #19 of 35

For my mmf - not sure where I got the recipe so I can't quote a source...

In a greased microwave container (I use a pyrex measuring cup) 500 g marshmallows, tablespoon water, hunk of shortening (1/8 cup ?), small squirt of white corn syrup. Melt for a minute, stir and melt at 30 sec intervals until melted. Add flavour. (and colour if you need a huge batch of one colour)

Sift 500 g of icing sugar in greased (with crisco) kitchen aid bowl, add melted marshmallows and use paddle to incorporate. Switch to dough hook and gradually add up to 500 g of sifted icing sugar. (Depending on the day, I use about 900 g of icing sugar). Take it out and put a thin layer of crisco around it and double wrap in plastic and let sit until room temp. Keep in fridge or freeze after a day.

You can put it on cookies straight out of the oven or use water or corn syrup lightly brushed on cooled or previously frozen cookies. Freezes really well.

You can decorate with fondant or RI.

HTH

edited to add that you can make this by hand too. Make a well in your sifted icing sugar, add the melted mixture and the slowly add the icing sugar in like you would make pasta.

Butterpatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterpatty Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 5:59pm
post #20 of 35

So glad that someone asked this question! I have wanted to try the fondant on cookies but was scared to since I am new not only to cake deco but even newer to decoing cookies.

EvMarie Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 12:47am
post #21 of 35

Wow - pastryjen....thanks for sharing the freezes well tidbit! That's awesome to know.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 1:08am
post #22 of 35

Have any of you ever tried modeling chocolate on the cookies instead of fondant?

EvMarie Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 2:25am
post #23 of 35

I haven't tried modeling chocolate on cookies but man does it sound good to me....

I know that "drakegore" uses it for her leaves on a couple designs she has. I think she has an apple and a pear. They are cute as can be.

icon_smile.gif

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 1:00pm
post #24 of 35

Here is a great MMF recipe, I use it all the time.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/3183/rhondas-ultimate-mmf

You can freeze the cookies either before you decorate, or after. I usually freeze after decorating, have never had any trouble with any of the decorating things I use, including royal and edible images.

Be sure to thin your corn syrup, when applying the fondant, about 3 parts water to one part corn syrup. It is too thick out of the bottle.

Hope all this helps, I do a lot of cookies decorated with MMF, please feel free to pm me if you have any questions..

sweetcreationsbykimberly Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:31am
post #25 of 35

pastryjen, if you are doing several colors, at what point would you color it? And do you add some white coloring when doing white?

pastryjen Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:36am
post #26 of 35

You have to let it rest for a few hours after you make it.

If I need a big batch of one colour, I colour the melted marshmallows before I add the icing sugar.

If a need small amount of colours, I just colour after it has rested - small bits at a time. Like BC though, you can't match colours so make sure you make enough of the colour you are going to need.

I've never added white colouring.

Texas_Rose Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:40am
post #27 of 35

I color my MMF right after it's made, if I need several different colors from one batch. It's easier to do while it's still soft and warm.

I don't add white coloring. Sometimes the MMF will be a little ivory-looking but the more you knead it, the whiter it will get.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 2:00am
post #28 of 35

I recently tried using Rolled Marshmallow Buttercream on my cookies (I am NOT a fondant fan!) and it is really yummy! Found the recipe on here. It looks really nice, and it is so easy to work with!

sweetcreationsbykimberly Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 2:14am
post #29 of 35

Ladies thanks for the help on the coloring.
djs328, do you know what recipe it is you are using?

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 2:19am
post #30 of 35

It was this one:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7434/marshmallow-rolled-buttercream-for-decorated-cookies

It was super easy to work with - it made a TON! I did 75 3" heart cookies, and had lots leftover. Kept perfectly (wrapped in saran in a ziploc) and I used more of it last week!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%