Diabetic Cake

Baking By piperyendor Updated 14 Mar 2010 , 5:43am by madgeowens

piperyendor Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 4

I am commissioned to make a birthday cake for a young man turning 15 who is diabetic. He cannot have artificial sugar either. Does anyone have any recipes for a diabetic cake with diabetic frosting that I can use for that young man? Thanks.

3 replies
prterrell Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 9:33pm
post #2 of 4

By artificial sugar do you mean Splenda or ALL sugar substitutes including Stevia, NutraSweet...

SMcDonald Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 5:31am
post #3 of 4

I am a type 1 diabetic on an insulin pump, and in my honest opinion there is no such thing as a "diabetic" cake. Not only will the sugar raise blood sugar, but the flour will too. Most artificial sweetners in a powder form have a substance that will raise blood sugar also. The only true sweetner that will not is the liquid form, which is not very easy to bake with.

My answer to anybody who wants a "diabetic" cake is that there is no such thing, that they eat it in moderation, and try to work it into their plan for the day.

Good luck!

madgeowens Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 5:43am
post #4 of 4

Absolutely correct..............NO SUCH THING AS DIABETIC SAFE CAKE......its not only the sugar, but the carbs that cause problems for a diabetic.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%