Help!! Raspberry Filling

Baking By luvbuttercream Updated 13 Mar 2010 , 3:29am by SallyBratt

luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 11

I am making a raspberry filling and it says to strain the mixture then use the strained mixture does this mean I throw away the juice??
here is a copy of recipe. Help quick

Raspberry Filling
Ingredients
  2 12 ounce packages of frozen raspberries (not packed in syrup)
  1 1/3 cups water
  1 1/2-2 cups granulated sugar (or to taste. 2 cups will be pretty sweet)
  2 T of lemon juice (optional)
  5-6 T of cornstarch dissolved in 1/2 cup of water

Directions
1.  In a saucepan combine the raspberries, water, sugar, and lemon juice.
2.  Bring to boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the raspberries have broken down.
3.  Remove the mixture from the heat and strain with a fine mesh sieve. Return the strained mixture to the heat.
4.  Dissolve the cornstarch in 1/2 cup of water.
5.  Whisk the slurry into the raspberry mixture.
6.  Bring the mixture back to a boil and simmer for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
7.  Remove from heat and cool completely, stirring every once in a while.
8.  It will take awhile to set up. It will thicken like a jelly. May stir it for easier spreading on cake.
9.  Yields: 3 1/2 cups

10 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 11

No! It means to throw away what's left in the strainer and use the juice that's collected from straining (basically you're removing the seeds and large pieces of pulp). In recipe parlance "strained mixture" refers to what did pass through the strainer.

luvbuttercream Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 11

But I can't understand why you wouldn't want the rest of the raspberries basically to just avoid seeds??

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 11

When you cook the raspberries, it will break them down. 90% of the berries will pass through the mesh. The 10% that is left behind will be 90% seeds.

luvbuttercream Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 11

OK thank you so much! An unrelated question you might know the answer to or someone else that looks at this. I just leveled my cake do I frost the side i levelled or turn it over and frost what would of been the bottom of the cake? I was thinking the bottom would reduce crumbs? Am I wrong. Sorry I am a newbie and am used to doing cupcakes.LOL

AmandasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandasCakes Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 9:41pm
post #6 of 11

You turn the cake upside down and frost the bottom, there will be much less crumbs! icon_biggrin.gif

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 9:56pm
post #7 of 11

This is my favorite raspberry filling recipe. It mixes well into buttercream once it's set too. The only down side is you can't freeze it... it separates into a watery mess when defrosted!

CakeEvolution Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeEvolution Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 10:41pm
post #8 of 11

I will be trying this recipe today....actually in the next 30 minutes....Thanks for the post!

luvbuttercream Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:05am
post #9 of 11

No problem and to be honest I ended just draining out some of the juice and using the seeds and raspberries i added the cornstarch mixture and used it for the filling in the end anyway. It tastes great and I don't mind the seeds. But thank you for all the info!

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:21am
post #10 of 11

I cheat on my filling.... I use a small jar of raspberry jam and disolve a small package of raspberry jello in it in the micro. Works great every time and you don't have to worry about it going bad.

SallyBratt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SallyBratt Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:29am
post #11 of 11

This is a bit different from my raspberry preserves recipe but the part about straining to remove the seeds is the same. I had a heck of a time getting the berries to pass thru the sieve so I gave it up and used a knee high stocking! It worked great. and yes, of course I used a new one!! icon_biggrin.gif I just spooned my cooked and cooled berries into the knee high and then squeezed them thru. The jam came out and the seeds and icky bits stayed in. I didn't have a single seed left in my jam.

I use the knee high straining method if my royal icing is a bit lumpy too. It's messy but it works like a charm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%