Cover Foam Core Boards?

Decorating By TracyO Updated 12 Mar 2010 , 10:32pm by TracyO

TracyO Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 7:31pm
post #1 of 13

I will be using 1/2" foam core boards for a stacked cake and want to cover them using cling wrap. Do I cover the entire board or just the tops?

12 replies
Mikel79 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 13

I cover my foam core boards with Glad-Press and seal. The cling wrap is all over the place and does not adhere to the board good. I wrap the entire board. Especially if the board is plaved on top of a cake...

TracyO Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 13

my mistake - I did get press n seal.
So I just would wrap it all the way around or do you cut large circles of it?

Peridot Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 13

I bring my press n seal around to the underside, making sure that it is secure on the top side and no bubbles or creases and then I pull the ends under. Once I have all of the press n seal pulled around to the bottom and pressed in place I trim and keep about two inches or more of the press n seal and have this circle that does not have any press n seal in the middle of the bottom of the cakeboard. I don't want the press n seal in the way when I put down my dab of BC to hold the tier in place.

Does that make sense?

BlakesCakes Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 13

I don't cover my foamcore boards with anything--I don't want saran/cling/foil to come up with the cake when it is cut.

To sanitize the board, I wipe both sides of the board with high alcohol extract (usually vanilla), or clear drinking alcoho (everclear, vodka, gin, or rum)

Peridot Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 8:48pm
post #6 of 13

I have never ever had a piece of press n seal come up with a peice of cake and I am there for all of the cakes as I cut them. I don't like the way the grease and or moisture of the cake and the BC absorb into the foam core. I also wipe the sides of my boards with vodka, vanilla etc. before covering and then let dry thoroughly before covering with the press n seal.

That's another reason that I don't use foil or plastic wrap.

BlakesCakes Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 13

It's good that you're there to cut all of the cakes because you know what's "in" there. Not everyone cutting a cake would know to expect a potentially removeable/cuttable wrap on the cake boards.

Some caterers cut cakes like they're sawing logs..............

The surface of the foam core does absorb some moisture, but it's no worse than what's left on the surface of cling wrap, a wax covered board, or a regular cake cardboard.

In my experience, the surface of the foam core is very tough and hard to cut thru or raise.

Peridot Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 9:16pm
post #8 of 13

That's true Blakescakes. icon_smile.gif

TracyO Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 9:33pm
post #9 of 13

Thank you all for sharing your views on this subject ~ I appreciate it very much.
This is my first wedding cake so I am really getting nerved up.

I was thinking the foam core need to be wrapped to make it "food safe"?

I normally use regular cake boards uncovered when making birthday cakes & such but want to go with the sturdier foam core on this wedding cake. I never thought about using everclear or something like that.

BlakesCakes Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 9:43pm
post #10 of 13

This has been discussed in the forums for years.
There has been no determination on the foam core, probably because there are many manufacturers of it.
I learned to use it while taking a class 4 years ago with Colette Peters. She didn't discuss or advise covering the boards, only cleaning them before use.
I realize that she isn't a health inspector, but she has had a business in NYC for many years, and I'm sure that she has had to deal with many an inspector in her time.
I took the attitude that if the practice was working well for her, then I would do the same.

To each his or her own.

TracyO Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 9:50pm
post #11 of 13

Thank you soo much, I appreciate you sharing the info!

CakesByLJ Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 10:09pm
post #12 of 13

I love using the foam core board. I also like to use colorful designs, like scrapping paper, and gift wrap paper. I cover them with clear contact paper, and usually have my cake on it's own board, which is held in place with double sided tape.. Overkill, I know. Anyway the foam core board is perfect for this type of cake that needs a center dowel to give the cake stability.

TracyO Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 10:32pm
post #13 of 13

Love the picture ~ you did a great job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%