Hardening And Coloring Mmf

Decorating By sunnybeach Updated 13 Mar 2010 , 9:15pm by sandy1

sunnybeach Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 7

Question for you fondant experts...I have made MMF several times. I have added coloring gel to color it, in particular, pink and if faded into the MMF. How do you keep the colors bright? Also, how long do you let MMF sit to harden?

6 replies
TexasSugar Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 7

Did you have the fondant under florescent lights or in the sun light?

sunnybeach Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 7

I had the MMF on my counter in the kitchen near a window. Does that really affect it that much? I wondered...

mamawrobin Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:16pm
post #4 of 7

Yep. Keep away from light icon_smile.gif

jamiekwebb Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 7

Oh yeah definitely keep it away from the light. To harden, do you mean like for figures or flowers? I use a mix of MMf and GP so I am not sure about that one, probably overnight though.

sunnybeach Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 9:04pm
post #6 of 7

I'll definitely keep it away from the light when I'm storing it. Another question, once it's on the cake will it still fade as much since it will be exposed to more light?? And yes, I wanted the MMF to harden to make a handle and spout for a teapot cake. I formed the MMF then let it sit overnight. It hardened somewhat but didn't hold its shape once I attached it to the teapot. I'll have to try mixing it with gum paste as was mentioned. Any other suggestions??

Thanks so much for your replies!!!!

sandy1 Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 9:15pm
post #7 of 7

I place my fondant figurines next to a dehumidifier, it really helps to dry them faster. I made a fondant handle for my Easter cake and it took 2 days to harden enough to pick up and be placed on the cake. I usually give my fondant at least 48 hours to dry (next to the dehumidifier).

Quote by @%username% on %date%