What To Charge Friends And Relatives?

Decorating By YummyChoo Updated 13 Mar 2010 , 2:34pm by jonahsmom

YummyChoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyChoo Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 11

what do you charge realtives and friends to make their wedding/engegment cake???

10 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 5:10pm
post #2 of 11

depends on how close I am to them, if they're immediate family or LIKE immmediate family (mom,dad,brother,sister,or feel like they SHOULD be your bro. or sis) I do it for free if I can.

If it's a cousin, neice, nephew, etc. that I'm relatively close to 50% off..........if it's someone I haven't thought of , heard from, or thought about in over a year, 20% off...........everyone else FULL PRICE!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 5:11pm
post #3 of 11

friends and relatives pay the ame as any other customer.They know it is my business so don't expect discounts and I don't expect one with their businesses either.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 5:17pm
post #4 of 11

If they ask they pay my normal amount. If I offer it is free.

Years ago I did do my brother's wedding cake for just the cost of the ingredients, but that was my gift to them and my brother does alot for me.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 11

if it was just a regular sort of birthday cake, its generally their present.
i am not set up as a buiness yet, so cant really charge (you could get into a whole legal issue - and you may need to be insured to have the cake at the venue) - but for vague friends, they pull full whack, or a small discount, just depends who they are.
now, for a wedding cake! id say the better way to do it is a discount - working for free even on a 'small' two tier cake is a lot of time, and unless this person is the dearest in the world to you (and even then) i bet you will regret doing it cheaply for them.
xx

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 5:21pm
post #6 of 11

This is very much up to each individual - as some can afford to give alot of *free* cake away - others feel obligate or pressured to give *free* cake away whilst others require to be paid for their ingrediants - time - delivery -
and everything else that goes into preparing and making that cake.

If you are asked to say make a $400.00 cake and give $100.00 off as a gift - that is suitable

If you wish to take off the delivery costs - that is also suitable.

You could perhaps think of giving a % off.

Personnally - i don't believe there is any hard and fast rule - it is what you feel comfortable with....and what you can afford.

It also varies from Country to Country - as to what your economy is like.

Bluehue

YummyChoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyChoo Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 8:07pm
post #7 of 11

they are pretty much my closest friends, they havent mentioned the money, think they expect it for free? They asked me to do it, ones this month and the other is in July.
I justdont know how to bring it up! Especially as I know they are both dont have alot of money...

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 8:30pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by YummyChoo

they are pretty much my closest friends, they havent mentioned the money, think they expect it for free? They asked me to do it, ones this month and the other is in July.
I justdont know how to bring it up! Especially as I know they are both dont have alot of money...

You ask them *What budget have you set for your Wedding Cake*?
That way you get an answer - and know before you even begin as to where you stand regarding payment......or non payment
Just because they might expect it for free doesn't mean it has to be or will be.

Bluehue

Arieyane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arieyane Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 2:11am
post #9 of 11

For really close relatives (mom,dad, Grandparents) If its a small/ basic party cake I try to cover the whole thing. If im kinda broke around the time I may ask just for enough to cover the materials I have to get w/o charging for labor. Close friends & other (close) family ( not cusion sue thatyou havent seen in the past 6 yrs) I may just ask for material fees. everybody else may get like a 10 or 20% discount.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 2:20pm
post #10 of 11

I know this opinion is not the popular one but I usually WANT to give my friends and family a gift of cake. The last wedding cake I made (well, I've made 2 icon_smile.gif ) was a gift for a friend. The ingredients cost less than $50 (this was a nice cake, too, chocolate cake with raspberry filling and fudge buttercream under fondant). Would you really not spend that as a wedding gift for your "closest" friends or family members? Aren't these the same people you would ask to babysit, or come get you when you get a flat tire, or help you move, or help you paint? Whenever someone I care about has an event coming up, my first response is always to offer the cake.

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 2:34pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

If they ask they pay my normal amount. If I offer it is free.

Years ago I did do my brother's wedding cake for just the cost of the ingredients, but that was my gift to them and my brother does alot for me.

Ditto what Texas says. That's EXACTLY how I do it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%